Feature Request : P2V restore

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Feature Request - Converstion to VMDK

Veeam Logoby SamVan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:23 pm 1 person likes this post

It would be very practical and useful, both from operations and business continuity and DR prospective, to be able to convert the back file (.vbk) to a vmdk, creating the opportunity for the Endpoint users to complete a P2V scenario.
I have heard, from my previous individual conversations with Veeam representatives that the Endpoint product was not designed for P2V. Knowing this fact, I believe there is nothing in the way of using the product to accomplish converting a physical machine to a VM. I am in the process of testing this and will convey my results to either the forum (here) or tweet it (@SoPahTech).
Thank you for considering the backup file conversion to VMDK and possibly making it available in the GA.
Have a great week everyone.
P.S. Anton: Received your newsletter (e-mail). Very informative and productive! Please keep up the good work!

SP
SamVan
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pahlavan

Re: Feature Request - Converstion to VMDK

Veeam Logoby ninjaburn81 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Sam:

What about other conversion tools, such as VMware's own Converter tool? https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=converter

This would save the 'backup' step and it is already directly created for this purpose.

Just my thought!
ninjaburn81
Enthusiast

Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Veeam Logoby SamVan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Yes. Sure Adam. That will work as well. But doesn't the convertor only allow one to grab the back file and convert it into a VM? (enabling us to let the VM land on a host) I want to be able to perform a file-to-file conversion. Meaning I need the backup software let me convert the vbk file to vmdk. This will be very useful for business continuity (BC) and DR scenarios.
Having said that I need to the first scenario as well (using the VMware convertor to use the Endpoint backup file and convert it to a VM.)
Have you or any one else here at the forum tested that? Is the Endpoint vbk file recognizable by the convertor?

Thanks
SamVan
Influencer

Veeam Logoby ninjaburn81 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Unfortunately no, the VBK files are not recognized by the converter, per the doc here: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/convsa_50_guide.pdf

You are correct that some other backup systems can do a P2V based off of their own backups (Symantec Backup Exec for example). From what I have seen tho, this application never was intended to interface with its B&R cousin, which would have the tools to interface with VMware and Hyper-V. Doesn't mean it's not on the roadmap though! ;)

ADMINS: suggest this topic be merged with this one? http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/feature-request-backup-to-ova-file-for-vmware-t24584.html
ninjaburn81
Enthusiast

Re: Feature Request : P2V restore

Veeam Logoby ninjaburn81 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Curious on B...what did you use settings-wise for your shell VM?
ninjaburn81
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby SamVan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Absolutely. I was reluctant to bring it up here. But you are correct. Symantec products including Symantec System Restore 2014 is able to do a one-time conversion. This is to convert the SSR backup file to a vmdk file.
I am hoping that this feature will be included in the roadmap. Ability to use the vbk file to with VMware convertor, is another feature on my wish list since you have mentioned it's not currently available.

As promised, on testing P2V:

I was able to successfully use Endpoint to complete a P2V process: (in vSphere):
A. Backup the physical machine
B. Create a shell VM
C. Boot to the bootable ISO
D. Restore using the backup file.
It worked like a charm. No driver issues.
Hardware: HP xw-4400 Workstation
Now the next test should be to repeat the process on a server (i.e, Dell PowerEdge or other server platforms). This will be a more comprehensive test for the drivers.
SamVan
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:17 pm

Sam, We’ve seen a convert .vbk to .vmdk request multiple times, so it’s in discussions.

Adam, Thanks for the heads up - I followed you lead and merged both topics into single thread :D

B. Create a shell VM

BTW In my lab I use default H/W and adjust only CPU/Disk size (...and it just works)
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby manhattan11 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi Guys,
I've tried SamVan suggestion without good result, Blue screen appear after restore the image into VM.

it's sound strange that Veeam doesn't provide an official way to convert bare metal offline backup (.vbk) to Vmdk.
Please give your suggestions and experience, I like veeam and I prefer to use it for these common task. :roll: :D

Thanks
manhattan11
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Angelo Vetrano

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi,

Most probably, you did restore with all the drivers collected from the original OS. Prior to performing a Bare Metal Recovery got to Tools > drivers and uncheck the box ’inject drivers’

Veeam doesn't provide an official way to convert bare metal offline backup (.vbk) to Vmdk

'Export as virtual disk' is a type of restore available in VBR console as a part of integration with VEB.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows