Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request - change backup name

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Emad, did you try the solution mentioned in this topic (a few posts above)?
oyvindo
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Oyvind Overby

Post by oyvindo »

Hi, I'm using VEP for incremental backups nightly of my Win10 PC to a Networked NAS.
After a while, the content of the backup folder is filled with files that has no meaningful names to me. All I can make any sense of, is the creation date of each file and its size. Likewise in the Veeam control panel - there is no way to clean up, manage, tag and/or organize backups. As it is now, I have to maintain a separate Excel file to keep a recorded history of what was backed up when.
Is there a way to achieve this in Veeam? What I need is a place to tag backups so that I know which one to choose for restore if I ever want to go back to the day before I upgraded i.e. my WiFi drivers (or any other happening). Sort of a daily activity tag or comment field.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

oyvindo wrote:there is no way to clean up, manage, tag and/or organize backups
Yes, that's correct. Restore points are solely controlled by your retention policy settings. Can you please clarify what does "organize backup" mean?
oyvindo wrote: As it is now, I have to maintain a separate Excel file to keep a recorded history of what was backed up when.
What kind of records are you doing? Will backup indexing backup files help in your scenario?
oyvindo
Novice

Post by oyvindo »

Vitaliy S. wrote:What kind of records are you doing? Will backup indexing backup files help in your scenario?
Here's a small example- just to illustrate:

On a specific day X, I decide to upgrade to Windows 1X. Everything seems to work just fine at first, but after some 10 days or so - I begin to experience problems to the degree that I finally get nowhere, so I decide to roll back to my previous "last known good" state. As VEP backs up my system every night, all I now need to do - is to remember exactly which day it was that I did the fatal upgrade. Regretfully I cannot remember, and there's nothing in the backup anywhere that can help me find the right date.

What I need is a way to record (note down) comments to each, any, none or all backups along the way, so that I can easily recall the chain of events from one day to the next.
It doesn't help me much to have 31 backups for August as long as I cannot tell them apart except for the date of the file.

That's why I now have to punch a separate excel file, recording everything I do, so that I know what to look for. I think a modern Backup system should provide that feature - at least allow me to rename each file name to something meaningful to me - without Veeam loosing track of history, sequence and generations, thus being able to restore a working bare metal disk independent of how backup files were named. Alternatively, if it is mandatory for you to strictly follow a specific naming convention, then at least support some form of editable text-only meta-data tag attached to each backup file. And keep copies in a local DB so that global search can be made to locate the right backup to restore from. As it is now, I cannot even search easily across generations of backups to locate a specific version of a file, folder or sets of such.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, seems like your use case it different from the one discussed in this topic. OPs post was about how to rename a backup file after renaming a computer name.

In your case maybe a standalone full backup would be a better approach (for example, do full backup every time you want to do a major change in the guest OS). Having a possibility to add a small note for to this standalone full backup also sounds like a good idea. Thanks for your feedback!
emad
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Emad Yehia

Post by emad »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Emad, did you try the solution mentioned in this topic (a few posts above)?
I tried this solution as mentioned above and it worked for me.
1.: VEB has NOT to be installed new, so EndPoint cloning with installed VEB is possible.
2.: Stop VEB Systray Tool and Service VeeamEndpointBackupSvc
3.: Delete following directories:
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Veeam\EndPoint
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Veeam\EndpointData
4.: Delete following LocalDB copies:
- %SystemRoot%\System32\config\systemprofile\VeeamBackup*
5.: Start Service VeeamEndpointBackupSvc and VEB Systray Tool
The Service Start takes a couple of time, because a new LocalDB is created now.
6.: Reconfigure the Backup Job
Thanks Vitaliy and thanks for everyone
oyvindo
Novice

Post by oyvindo »

Vitaliy S. wrote:In your case maybe a standalone full backup would be a better approach (for example, do full backup every time you want to do a major change in the guest OS). Having a possibility to add a small note for to this standalone full backup also sounds like a good idea. Thanks for your feedback!
Excellent! Thanks for your support, and sorry for hiijacking.
jcquirin
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: jean-christophe.q

Post by jcquirin »

Hi,

To change the name of the backup, you just to reset the database.

Run regedit.exe and locate the
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup
key, as also seen in the screenshot below:

Name = RecreateDatabase
Type = DWORD (32 bit)
Value = 1

You can also create this entry if it does'nt exist
https://tinkertry.com/veeam-endpoint-ba ... base-reset
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

jcquirin,

Thanks. Yes, this registry key recreates the database which all the backup history and makes you VEB like a brand-new installation. Just don’t forget to remove the key once the operation was completed successfully.
souperstar
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by souperstar »

Does this registry key have any effect on the Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 Free Edition? We can't seem to get it to do anything, every backup job is listed as "WIN10IMAGE" when the PC name clearly shows correctly inside the job itself.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Chris,

Yes, recreate database hack should work with VAW v2. Try to run recreate database, remove / copy old backup files to another location. If you were using Veeam backup repository remove the job from the console and backup files from configuration as well.
souperstar
Enthusiast

Post by souperstar »

I have set the recreate database registry entry to '1' and removed the job and backup file configuration from the Veeam backup repository console. Same result - the workstations create a job in the VBR console as "WIN10IMAGE" and continue to try backing up as this job name. I can clearly see the workstation name inside the job. Any other advice? There doesn't seem to be anything else which would need to be done if the registry entry is doing its job and I am interpreting its purpose correctly.
souperstar
Enthusiast

Post by souperstar »

I just realized, could the issue stem from executing a backup job of the master image OS before sysprepping? Would that cause the job name to be sticky somewhere? If so, is our only resolution to delete the configuration and start over on each newly imaged workstation?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I just realized, could the issue stem from executing a backup job of the master image OS before sysprepping?
Might be the root cause. We have a recommended procedure for Sysprep and Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows. I still don’t have a clue why recreate database does not solve this issue. If possible please open a support case and let the team check your logs.
souperstar
Enthusiast

Post by souperstar »

Thank you for that link Dima, we have used that process and tested every way we can think of, and finally created support case 02278647. Thanks again for your help.
souperstar
Enthusiast

Post by souperstar »

FYI - the issue appears to be related to us executing a backup job prior to running sysprep on our image. Had we not executed a backup job prior to sysprep, it appears to work fine. However, for those of us attempting to backup to our VBR backup repository with authenticated credentials and a whole host of other settings - Veeam is essentially asking us to create an image with an UNTESTED software configuration. The only way to test the job is to execute the job, but the only way to sysprep after testing the job is to clear all the configuration with the RecreateDatabase key. This renders any test result moot. Surely, an unintended catch 22, it happens. I'm interested in any proposal to resolve the issue, specifically I think a new key "RecreateJobName" could be in order :)

Regardless, the SysprepMode key does not have our expected outcome of wiping the slate clean of any backup job names, it only resets something called the job ID, which must be a real thing in a local database perhaps. I think the documentation should be updated to explain this.

On a side note, we had a roughly 90 day old PC give out on us yesterday. We restored the VAW backup to the same model (though slightly different CPU, RAM, and SSD). All went well and the developer was up and coding again in less than 30 minutes. The software really works, and we thank you!
nolant
Novice

[MERGED] Folder path after computer rename

Post by nolant »

Case #: 02416401

I've encountered the issue a few times described below:
- set up a machine with VAW (e.g. named "COMP-OLD")
- ran a backup, targeted at a VBR repository. The actual path to the backup files is something like "<repo>\<domain_account>\Backup_Job_<machine name>_",
where:
<repo> = path to repo on drive (e.g. D:\MyRepo)
<domain_account> = name of account used to connect to the repo. In this case we are using machine accounts (i.e. not entering specific credentials)
<machine name> = name of computer
example of full path - "D:\MyRepo\CONTOSO_COMP-OLD\Backup_Job_COMP-OLD_"
- renamed the machine (e.g. "COMP-NEW")
- cleared out the database, VBR config, etc. This means using the recreatedatabase registry key on the local machine, as well as clearing out the config for this backup from within VBR (using “Delete from configuration” and “Delete from disk” options) and making sure the folder is deleted.
- ran another backup
- backup creates a new folder, but the <domain_account> portion reflects the old name of the computer
example of full path - "D:\MyRepo\CONTOSO_COMP-OLD\Backup_Job_COMP-NEW_"

Is there no way to get the parent folder (of "Backup_Job_<machine name>_") to reflect reality?

I've had a case open regarding this for some time, but so far all I've done is confirm the same details repeatedly.

From my own investigation, in the VeeamBackup DB there's a table [Backup.Security.Accounts]. In it are columns for id, name, sid, and nt4_name. There does seem to be some mismatch between an account name in Active Directory vs. what’s shown in the fields for a particular SID after a computer account is renamed.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi nolant,

Try the solution described in this post. Additionally, you should remove the corresponding backup job and it’s backup files from Veeam B&R console.
nolant
Novice

Post by nolant »

Hi Dima,

Following those steps doesn't change the behavior I'm seeing.
As you mentioned in another post, using the RecreateDatabase key (which I've been doing) is the same as deleting the files, but just to test I cleared out all the files and folders manually just as laid out in the post you pointed to. I also mentioned that I had removed the config and files/folders from the VBR server.

The problem is not that the "Backup_Job_<machine name>_" (where the actual backup files reside) is not renamed, but the parent folder "<domain_account>" isn't. The naming of that parent folder will (should) match with whatever credentials you specify in the backup config of VAW to access the repository.
Again, the problem is that the name does not change when the account is renamed (as happens when the computer is renamed), even with all the steps I performed.

Thanks.
egal8888
Novice
Full Name: NR

Post by egal8888 »

I ran into the same problem this morning.

After having renamed a client, Veeam Client will not update the new name in the local database and that's why Veeam keeps writing its backup files to the old location.

The only way to work around this issue seems to be the recreation of the database, either by deleting all database files or by setting the corresponding registry entry as stated earlier in this thread.

Doing this you will loose the whole backup chain for the machine you renamed and this is not really satisfying.

Digging into this I found out that you can open the local Veeam database using SQL Server Management Studio.
To connect just use the PipeName and Credentials given in the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\DbConfiguration".

The following tables contain the old client name that has to be replaced by the new one:

Code: Select all

dbo.Backup.Model.Backups
dbo.Backup.Model.JobSessions
dbo.Backup.Model.Storages
dbo.BJobs
dbo.BObjectsSensitiveInfo
Using this solution you will not loose the backup chain for your client.

But there is a big disadvantage:
You have to install the SQL Server Management Studio on the client that was renamed, 'cause I did not find a way to remotely connect to the Veeam database.
If someone knows, how to remotely connect through the named pipe, please let me know.

Hopefully Veeam will integrate such a feature in one of the upcoming releases.
It does not seem to be a big job.
If the Veeam client recognizes a change in the clients name, it simply has to run an sql update script, to replace all occurances of the old client name to the new one and accordingly rename the subfolder name that holds the backup files.
LeeJohnson
Lurker
Full Name: Lee Johnson

Post by LeeJohnson »

I have been able to work around this situation by having two folders on the backup device. For instance, VeeamBackup#1 and VeeamBackup#2. Initially all PCs backup to #1. If I change the PC name, I then change the backup destination to folder #2. It then creates a new backup folder using the new name of the PC. The old backup folder remains in folder #1.

Hope this helps!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Lee.

Thank you for sharing the heads up! Glad to say that it would be possible to specify job name and description as well as delete existing backup job in the next major version of Veeam Agent for Windows. Thanks!
jan.kiesewetter
Lurker
Full Name: Jan Kiesewetter

Re: [MERGED] Folder path after computer rename

Post by jan.kiesewetter »

nolant wrote: Jan 18, 2018 10:34 pm Case #: 02416401

I've encountered the issue a few times described below:
- set up a machine with VAW (e.g. named "COMP-OLD")
- ran a backup, targeted at a VBR repository. The actual path to the backup files is something like "<repo>\<domain_account>\Backup_Job_<machine name>_",
where:
<repo> = path to repo on drive (e.g. D:\MyRepo)
<domain_account> = name of account used to connect to the repo. In this case we are using machine accounts (i.e. not entering specific credentials)
<machine name> = name of computer
example of full path - "D:\MyRepo\CONTOSO_COMP-OLD\Backup_Job_COMP-OLD_"
- renamed the machine (e.g. "COMP-NEW")
- cleared out the database, VBR config, etc. This means using the recreatedatabase registry key on the local machine, as well as clearing out the config for this backup from within VBR (using “Delete from configuration” and “Delete from disk” options) and making sure the folder is deleted.
- ran another backup
- backup creates a new folder, but the <domain_account> portion reflects the old name of the computer
example of full path - "D:\MyRepo\CONTOSO_COMP-OLD\Backup_Job_COMP-NEW_"

Is there no way to get the parent folder (of "Backup_Job_<machine name>_") to reflect reality?

I've had a case open regarding this for some time, but so far all I've done is confirm the same details repeatedly.

From my own investigation, in the VeeamBackup DB there's a table [Backup.Security.Accounts]. In it are columns for id, name, sid, and nt4_name. There does seem to be some mismatch between an account name in Active Directory vs. what’s shown in the fields for a particular SID after a computer account is renamed.
I found the solution to rename the folder of the User/PC that authenticates against Veeam B&R.
If you use the computer account to authenticate and rename the computer the parent folder will stay unchanged.

Veeam Backup and Replication saves the sid of the PC or user which is used for authentication to its database.
1. Go to your Veeam Server
2. Open the VeeamBackup Database in Microsoft SQL Management Studio
3. Go to the table [dbo].[Backup.Security.Accounts]
4. Right click on the table and select "edit to 200"
5. Delete the line with the old name.

I also deleted the backup job from Veeam B&R,
also the backup itself from Backups>Disk>Computername>Delete from disk
and the Veeam Agent db (https://www.veeam.com/kb2335)

The idea behind saving the sid and name is usefull if you don't want to have a new backup chain after renaming the PC but it's annoying if you've setup a new PC with a temporary name that has connected once to the Veeam B&R server.
Some userinterface to remove entries from that table would be helpfull.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi folks,

Such complicated workaround is no longer required with latest Veeam Agent for Windows 3.0. With latest version you can easily recreate backup job from the product UI and with fist backup job run new machine name should be used instead of the old one. Hope it helps!