Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Feature Request - couple of new ideas

Post by CharlieKPoland »

Hi

I installed your software and I have new ideas and concerns :)

1. There is setting at configuration: show time or show size of made backups at welcome scree. But why not to add these two informations together ? Divide every column into two: Left column - time, right - size. And we have everything important in one view :)

I attach my idea screen preview to better show what I exactly mean 8) Image

2. During first creation of Recovery Media System is not asking us where to plasce image file when whe choose creation to image. I looked at then found where it was saved (=>Documents). I would prefer to have possibility where to place that file. At least - show clickable path to the file at the end. Just to open this folder containing that .iso file.

3. ISO Recovery file should be secured with password for opening that file, because it contains sensitive data. Actually it is not, because I could open .ISO file archive without any problems and password asking.

4. When backup job is axctually making - I would appreciate for additional info like:

"Aproximated end of job at 2h 35 min"

5. I was dissappointed I could not add as my target of backup - mapped with letter network share. Only UNC path and local hardware drives letter. Why not N: drive (my letter of mapped network share of virtualize host PC) for instance ?

6. Block deduplication needed for big and frequent backups... :?

In general I like your tool, I find it easy and efficient. Good job guys ! :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Feature Request - couple of new ideas

Post by Gostev »

Hello, and thank you for your feedback!

1. Good idea.

2. Second step of the Recovery Media wizard does ask you to specify both name and location of the ISO.

3. I don't understand what are you saying here. Can you please explain?

4. Yes, this one is already in the pipeline.

5. Mapped drives are user-specific setting (stored in HKCU), and they are only available when a user is actually logged on to the computer. I guess what we could do is resolve mapped drive to UNC path at the time when you specify it. However, in the configuration we still have to store UNC path and username/password, as opposed to a mapped drive.

6. You will not get any dedupe within the same desktop. And especially with forever-incremental backups, because they grab changes only.

Thanks again.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

CharlieKPoland,
3. ISO Recovery file should be secured with password for opening that file, because it contains sensitive data. Actually it is not, because I could open .ISO file archive without any problems and password asking.
Recovery ISO does not contain any sensitive information - it only collects hardware drivers from the OS.
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast

Post by CharlieKPoland »

As I good remember your youtube training - this .ISO contains functionality to reset Admin password. And detailes about partitions - used to recovery data in any case. So access to this data should be secured with password in my opinion to avoid stealing (it can be only copy) of such ISO file to enter my PC when I don't want anybody access it.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

detailes about partitions - used to recovery data in any case
It’s collected from the backup file, which is not a part of the recovery media. From the top of my head backup and recovery media could be located within the same USB drive (on separate partitions), but in such case windows built-in Bitlocker can be used
functionality to reset Admin password
It does not store or use the existing admin password
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

And yes, you can enter any PC with this ISO (which is why physical security is so important).
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast

Post by CharlieKPoland »

Refering to first, welcome screen - is possibility that user will see older values, than last 7 positions visible on welcome screen ? Maybe via any logs or something ?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

older values, than last 7 positions visible on welcome screen ? Maybe via any logs or something ?
Not within the UI, but I guess you can use logs (C:\ProgramData\Veeam).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

CharlieKPoland wrote:is possibility that user will see older values, than last 7 positions visible on welcome screen ? Maybe via any logs or something ?
Can you please clarify how would you like to use this data later? Probably you need some kind of reporting functionality, just trying to understand the scenario.
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast

Post by CharlieKPoland »

Just simply. I need to check how ma backup is making. To see if I have clear and safe sittuation with previous backups or my backups are preparing incidentally correctly, but in general - for example not. So usual checking older backup logs... Visual format suites me best, but text log, if it is in understandable form - is will be also ok as for me.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

By the way - you can see all existing valid restore points listed if you open any recovery wizard.
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast

Post by CharlieKPoland »

Are we talking about application whoch can be only manually found in Veeam catalog: C:\Program Files\Veeam\EndPoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Recovery.exe ? In fact - they are :)
BTW - I would appreciate if you add link to that application from welcome screen (next to "backup now - add restore now ?).
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast

Post by CharlieKPoland »

BTW, what will happen if at configuration I will have for example keeping only 3 days recovery points history, but during these days Veeam was not able to make full backup ? If previous full backup was for example 7 days old - will be then deleted or not ?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello CharlieKPoland,
I would appreciate if you add link to that application from welcome screen (next to "backup now - add restore now ?).
You can click any column on the chart in the Status tab of the Control Panel and launch File or Volume restore from there.
3 days recovery points history, but during these days Veeam was not able to make full backup ? If previous full backup was for example 7 days old - will be then deleted or not ?
Good question - all the restore points should be retired then, that’s why it is important to set the retention policy and backup schedule carefully or to keep the set default. However, in your scenario I can think of only two reasons why backup is failing so frequently: either the user cancels it or target repository (NAS/USB drive) is disconnected (if second then restore points are safe from the retention mechanism).

Side note - full backup is taken only during first job run, all the further restore points are increments. When the first full backup is retired - it is merged into increment and become a new full. Thank you.
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast

Post by CharlieKPoland »

What do you mean "full backup is retired" - deleting .vbk file is retiring or are we talking about other procedure ?
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast

Post by CharlieKPoland »

BTW - I noticed that when is configured Volume backup - it contains swap file. If it is taken "File level backup" or "Entire Computer" backup - in 2nd case automatically swap is avoid, in first case I can exclude as exception it. How to not to backup in "Volume level backup" this swap file ?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

The pagefile is indeed seen in FLR, but is zeroed out like we have in Backup & Replication. So it is actually not there in the backup... We are looking at ways for the future to even improve this further.
Rialb
Novice
Full Name: Rial Llever

Post by Rialb »

Agreed with status display - or at least place the size/settings options in the status window