Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Feature Request - Create Backup from Recovery Media

Post by Regnor » 8 people like this post

As a technican I often have to do a system backup before touching a client machine, either because the risk of loosing files or because I'm doing a clean installation.
So it would be great if we could create a system or volume backup from the Recovery Media. This would save much time as you wouldn't have to install Veeam Endpoint Backup just for on single backup and you only have to use a single backup solution instead of many different ones.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - Create Backup from Recovery Media

Post by Dima P. »

Regnor,
Thank you for your feedback, interesting use case - we will discuss it with the team.
bhively
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: B.Hively

Post by bhively » 1 person likes this post

I second this feature request. It would be handy in many situations from creating a backup of a computer prior to powering it on for maintenance to snapping an audit or forensic image without booting the operating system to snapping an image of the disk inside a machine for cloning to another machine (bootable media support for backup creation would allow the capture of a system where sysprep had been run and shut down the PC).
Njumaen
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ralf Neumann

Post by Njumaen »

+1 ;-)
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor »

It would be really great if this would be implemented.
I don't know what everyone else is using in such a situation; I myself prefer Clonezilla or Redobackup, but both lack of FLR which is quite a disadvantage.
MisterV
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Valentijn Verbeke

Post by MisterV » 1 person likes this post

+1

Would be interesting to use as an alternative for clonezilla, also for rolling out clients.
oz42
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Olaf Zaplinski

Post by oz42 »

+1 from me!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Guys, thank you for pushing this. Imaging is a bit different from backup, so it might be completed to include such feature in the existing recovery tool we have, but we would definitely pay attention to all your request when it comes to the next version features discussions! Once again thanks to all of you!
HussainMahfood
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Hussain Mahfood

Feature Request - Backup from Bare Matel

Post by HussainMahfood » 1 person likes this post

Backup from Bare Matel Device. This option will allow us to Backup even from Not bootable Windows machine (Backup can be disk, Volume or Folder based)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hussain,

I'm not 100 % sure if I get this. So you want to be able to do a backup from a disk / volume or folder after being started from our recovery appliance? So a Windows machine that can't be started anymore, where you don't have no backup from so you want to use our recovery appliance to create a 1-time backup so you can restore it afterwards to a new machine or whatever... NOT BMR anymore, but just recover the files necessary. Is that correct?

Mike
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor »

I think Hussain (and also myself) means both; create a system image and also be able to recover single files.
If a machine isn't properly booting I'm also doing a full system backup so that I'm able to restore it in case that things get worse.

I also see an advantage when we're doing a fresh installation. Even if a user says that all files are backuped it could happen that he or she has forgotten something. So we boot VEB, do a one-time backup and if anything gets lost(not only files bit also settings) we're always able to get back to to original image.
Homes32
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jonathan Holmgren

Post by Homes32 »

+1 for Create from Recovery Media,

In addition to the above comments its also useful if the computer in question will not boot correctly or due to viruses or corrupted windows updates. The ability to "snapshot" the disk in the event that repairs fail would be a welcome addition.
Regnor
Veeam Software

Post by Regnor »

d.popov wrote:Regnor,
Thank you for your feedback, interesting use case - we will discuss it with the team.
Hello Dima,

were you able to discuss this feature request with the team?
If so, what was their opinion?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

This feature will definitely not be a part of v1, and we have not started planning our future releases yet. Planning will require some initial prototyping, before we can form the opinion. Thanks!
corby
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Corby Agid

Post by corby »

Just browsing the forum and saw this thread.

I would have assumed the recovery media would be able to perform backups. An "offline" backup of a Windows computer (or any other OS), would seem to be a perfect feature for technician work, prior to doing ANYTHING else to the original system. I would always like to know I can bring a client machine back to its original condition.
tconsie
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by tconsie »

+1 to being able to use the bootable Recovery Media iso/usb, to not only be able to Restore but also take a Backup.
SamVan
Influencer
Full Name: Sam Pahlavan

Functionality Addition for Future Releases

Post by SamVan »

It would be nice to be able to backup using the bootable ISO, media as well as restoring. This way one does not need to install the full version of the software in the Windows environment.
SP
wsususer
Influencer
Full Name: Jürgen Möbius

Post by wsususer »

+1 all the major manufacturers of backup software can do a backup with Recovery-CD.
Veeam should also be able to do this for VEB.
wsususer
Influencer

New feature idea for Recovery-CD

Post by wsususer »

It would also make sense , if I can make a file level Restore with the Recovery CD , to be able to save my Backup-Data to another medium (another hard disk, Partition or USB drive).
Reason: If the PC that I have backuped, is defect , you can recover individual important data from the backups using the Recovery CD.

Other manufacturers solve it so that you can start on the Recovery CD a file explorer and can mount the backup as an additional drive.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jürgen, Sam,
I’ve merged your posts to the existing thread just to keep track of similar feature requests in one place. Thank you for your feedback!
wsususer
Influencer

Post by wsususer »

New feature idea for Recovery-CD
by wsususer Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:05 am
It would also make sense , if I can make a file level Restore with the Recovery CD , to be able to save my Backup-Data to another medium (another hard disk, Partition or USB drive).

Reason: If the PC that I have backuped, is defect , you can recover individual important data from the backups using the Recovery CD.

you can say that you can't start a Recovery-CD from a faulty PC. :shock:
Therefore, the correction
Reason: If the Hard Disk from the PC that I have backuped, is defect , you can recover individual important data from the backups using the Recovery CD with built-in File-Level-Restore.
If the PC that I have backuped, is defect, I must have a way to boot with the the Recovery- CD with built-in File-Level-Restore from another PC and open my Recovery-files.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Jurgen,

We are thinking already about a way of delivering file-level recovery through different options. I'll take your ideas with me to see what we can do about it.

There is only thing I don't understand...
If the Hard Disk from the PC that I have backuped, is defect , you can recover individual important data from the backups using the Recovery CD with built-in File-Level-Restore.
If the PC that I have backuped, is defect, I must have a way to boot with the the Recovery- CD with built-in File-Level-Restore from another PC and open my Recovery-files
Isn't it easier to have VEB running on that other PC and then just recover from the broken pc's backups?
wsususer
Influencer

Post by wsususer »

Hello Mike
your question:
"Isn't it easier to have VEB running on that other PC and then just recover from the broken pc's backups?"

If I am dependent on another computer, I'm just a guest there, if it is not my own !
There may be reasons why VEB can not be installed on other PC or Servers.
If the other PC does not belong to me and the owner does not want to have VEB on his PC; then have a problem. I can only use his computer, if I change anything.
On the other PC or Server a Backup image program of some other manufacturer is already installed and I would not even install the Veeam Image program in addition.
Install VEB, restore broken pc's backups, deinstall VEB is not a nice solution.

look also to this Topic:
Feature Request: Backup Explorer for Endpoint
Veeam Logoby wsususer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:07 pm

I wish to have an Veeam.Backup.Extractor.exe standalone GUI tool (extract the backup file if I can not use the main program).
Can also be integrated into the Recovery CD.
I find it unnecessary to install the product VEB on another computer, to get back the backup data in this case.
wsususer
Influencer

Post by wsususer »

Sorry, translation error in my last Reply: --> wsususer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:04 pm
If the other PC does not belong to me and the owner does not want to have VEB on his PC; then have a problem. I can only use his computer, if I change anything.
I wanted to say:
If the other PC does not belong to me and the owner does not want to have VEB on his PC; then have a problem. I can only use his computer for recovery , if I change nothing on his PC.

Another comment:
The lighter, faster and easier, a recovery is possible, the better
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Jurgen,

Thanks for the additional feedback. Taking it into my notes

Cheers

Mike
SamVan
Influencer
Full Name: Sam Pahlavan

Post by SamVan »

Absolutely Corby. By having this feature at your disposal you are not adding any additional footprint to the PC being backed up (no additional component, i.e., any variation of SQL will be added to the PC).
Even though not being considered for the v1 release, thank you in advance Anton for considering this feature at one point in the evolution of the product.

SP
LThibx
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Lonnie J Thibodeaux

Post by LThibx » 1 person likes this post

I am definitely casting my vote for being able to do a backup (image and / or file level) from the Veeam Recovery Media.
Seems that the last post here was almost a year ago.
I would like to ask the current status of this feature request?

Thanks
Lonnie
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

This feature is no being implemented in the next major release in favor of more important features, but we are keeping it in mind for the future releases. Thanks all for your feedback!
ITWIZ
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Zeller Werner

[MERGED] Endpoint backup offline with recovery CD

Post by ITWIZ »

Hi,
is it possible to backup offline with the endpoint generated bootcd?

Thanks!

regards
itwiz
Dima P.
Product Manager

[MERGED] Re:Endpoint backup offline with recovery CD

Post by Dima P. »

Hi itwiz,

Are you looking for the possibility to create a backup from Veeam Recovery Media?