Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request - Email Report on Success or Fail

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks Patrick,

That's appreciated very much by our support! But as always, keep that feedback coming and as Anton stated, don't hesitate to escalate if you feel it is necessary. We always aim to improve and it is thanks to all of you guys that we can keep doing this!

Cheers

Mike
ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Post by ITP-Stan »

Just to let you know, that e-mail messages from VEEAM B&R work well when Edpoint is doing backup to a B&R repo!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Awesome. Thank you Stan!
Echo Internet
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James Molesworth

Post by Echo Internet » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I was disappointed to see that in the latest RC build, despite all the requests on this thread, we still don't have proper independent email notifications - only those which are part of B&R integration.

We have a great many clients we would like to install VEP for, replacing other commercial products such as Acronis / ShadowProtect etc. - the simplicity of VEP is wonderful and make it perfect for the intended audience. We cannot rely upon clients to keep a close eye on backup notifications so the ability for the product to email us regular backup status reports is critical.

Many of our smaller clients are on slow ADSL links with limited upload speed and so up-selling them to backup to a B&R repo on our cloud is not really an option. As it stands, we have no (easy) way of monitoring VEP backups for these installations due to the lack of email notifications.

Is there any way at all that you can get this into the final GA release? It's a small but critical capability we believe.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello James,

Thank you for your feedback and sharing the use case which absolutely makes sense. I agree that notifications is an essential part of day to day monitoring. In the GA version of Endpoint Backup FREE we will not have this capability unless you are backing up to a Veeam B&R repository.

Currently, as a workaround you can try to adapt Windows Events that are triggered after job run to notify central admin about status of Endpoint backups.

Thank you!
blake.dayton
Novice
Full Name: Blake Dayton

Post by blake.dayton »

Can we at least get a "run command x on event y" type dialog? At least then it would be trivial to attach a quick mailsend.exe SMTP blurb.

Having the only notifications limited to either console sessions or a full B&R repo is baffling.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for the feedback again, we will keep this in mind for the next updates, as it does correlate with this FR as well > Feature Request - Run script at end of backup job
Badger1
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by Badger1 »

Echo Internet wrote:Hi,

I was disappointed to see that in the latest RC build, despite all the requests on this thread, we still don't have proper independent email notifications - only those which are part of B&R integration.

We have a great many clients we would like to install VEP for, replacing other commercial products such as Acronis / ShadowProtect etc. - the simplicity of VEP is wonderful and make it perfect for the intended audience. We cannot rely upon clients to keep a close eye on backup notifications so the ability for the product to email us regular backup status reports is critical.

Many of our smaller clients are on slow ADSL links with limited upload speed and so up-selling them to backup to a B&R repo on our cloud is not really an option. As it stands, we have no (easy) way of monitoring VEP backups for these installations due to the lack of email notifications.

Is there any way at all that you can get this into the final GA release? It's a small but critical capability we believe.
It would be nice, if email notification works directly from VEP (without B&R)!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi all,

No, email won't be in v1 as you have guessed from the RC. That said, for those who want it...

You can schedule a task (task scheduler) that reads out the event log

Simply monitor for event 190, with source Veeam Endpoint Backup (in event log Veeam Endpoint Backup) and look for severity (information is good, warning is not so good, error is bad)... Then trigger whatever task you want to run such as email or anything else.

FYI, event 190 is backup job finished

Mike
theflash89
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brett Brownderville

Post by theflash89 »

I would like to be able to have a built in send email on failure as well. I have several servers I will be setting this up on to replace aging software by other companies and a simple failure email would be great.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

+1 for integrated email notification support!

Cheers

Marco
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Brett, Marco,

Can you work with the above script that is provided? Or can you also work with the events that are written away in eventviewer and then use task scheduler to pick it up and sent and email? i know those are workarounds (although that script is very nice...) but at least it is a good start :-)

Thanks

Mike
gulosito
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Carlos

Post by gulosito » 1 person likes this post

+1000 for integrated email notification support!

Please, this would make Veeam Backup endpoint was absolutely perfect!
LukeAd
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Luke Admin

Post by LukeAd »

+1 adding my vote for built-in email notifications in the case where you are not backing up to a B&R repo
Sablerider
Influencer
Full Name: Alexander Neunsinger

Post by Sablerider »

+1 for E-Mail-Notification
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

I guess that if we have a central management console for Veeam Endpoint Backups, then this question should not arise any more, right?
LukeAd
Enthusiast

Post by LukeAd »

Vitaliy S. wrote:I guess that if we have a central management console for Veeam Endpoint Backups, then this question should not arise any more, right?
For me, both serve a distinct purpose.

I actually rely on email notifications for my day-to-day work, and only go to management consoles when I have to do something.

So...emails for notifications, management consoles to get work done.

As an admin, I have tons of systems to monitor...VMware, server health, anti-malware, failover clusters, internet uptime, bandwidth usage, disk space, phones, backups, server room temps, and on and on...

Every one of them has a management console, but even with a multi-monitor setup, I can't be looking at all of the management consoles all the time (nor is it productive to do so when I have other responsibilities on top of my admin duties...I'm not even always at my desk).

Email is my bread-and-butter of knowing when something goes wrong (or when something has gone right!). Everything is configured to send me an email when something happens that I need to know about. Even when systems completely fail, I have monitoring tools like Nagios set up to email me.

So, to me, email is critical. The management console is where I go to get more details and to fix the problem after I get the email telling me something is wrong.

Thanks for listening!

------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I was just thinking about this a bit more and realized that for endpoint backups I don't really need the kind of instant notification email that I need, for example, when a server fails. The kind of email that I really need for this is a daily digest. Each morning when I start the day I have a number of other status (success/fail) email messages in my Inbox that I quickly review to see what worked and what didn't. A management console would serve the same purpose, and individual email messages from each endpoint would work as well, but having a summary/digest email would be best and would make the start of my day much quicker (most stuff usually works...so seeing a quick "SUCCESS" message allows me to quickly scan and move on).

Just wanted to clarify...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, thanks for the detailed post. Probably I have asked this question in a not very clear way - I was suggesting to have this kind of report + email notifications coming from the central management console, but not from Veeam Endpoint Backup directly.
LukeAd
Enthusiast

Post by LukeAd »

Yes, that would be phenomenal...the best of both worlds!

As an admin, the more I can do centrally without going to each client is a huge benefit!
KevinM
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kevin Mauldin

Post by KevinM »

Agreed. +1 for email reports from central management console
marcinbojko
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Marcin Bojko

Post by marcinbojko »

+1 on email notifications
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hey Marcin,

Just to be sure you are aware of the provided workaround described here:Powershell script to add VEB-EMails
marcinbojko
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Marcin Bojko

Post by marcinbojko »

Thanks Dima,
I will try this out. However, still on +1 for builtin notifications feature :)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome Marcin!

Additionally here is an alternative script – it’s not well tested yet, but feel free to try it anyway.
stipe.soldo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stipe Soldo

Post by stipe.soldo »

+1 on built in email notifications
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner
Full Name: Lukas

Post by lxk3il »

+1 here too!
As a system administator this would be very handy.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

I have several questions to all of you:

- What email hosting/server are you using for this sort of notifications (i.e. public email and servers like google or AOL or private "in house" servers )?
- How typical is set FROM and TO fields to be same address? For instance whenever I set up such notifications I do use my public gmail address as FROM and TO.

Thanks in advace
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner

Post by lxk3il »

Hi Dima,

we use our "in house" server for backup email tasks.
Also we do set FROM an TO to the same adress, so we can quickly determine systemmails from normal emails.

Greetings
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks Lukas. Out of curiosity, does your in house smtp server address name start with smtp.xxxx or mail.xxxx prefix - I wonder what the most commonly used prefixes are...
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner

Post by lxk3il »

In our case we use the mail.xxxx prefix, but I think both cases are pretty common.