Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Re: Feature Request - Email Report on Success or Fail

Post by ITP-Stan »

For small customers, the e-mail server will be the one provided by the ISP. Bigger customers will have their own mail server.
The TO address will be 2 different addresses, one for the customer itself and one for us the IT consultancy company. The FROM field will be whatever is necessary to get a good mail flow (ISP requirments, SPF records, ...)
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Lukas

[MEGRED]Seperate Email Notifications per Endpoint Device

Post by lxk3il »

Hello Veeamers!

Is it possible to add a feature which allows separate email notifications per endpoint device?
In our environment we use VEB in combination with VBR.

Many of our customers wish to be notified, if their backupjob was successful. And the easiest way to notify them is via email.
This way, they can also keep of their successful or failed jobs within their desired email client software, or even on their mobile device.

But as far as I know, you can only configure global email notifications for VEB, right?
If so, it would be very nice to see this feature in a future release!

What do you think?

Greetings,
Lukas
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

[MEGRED]Re: Seperate Email Notifications per Endpoint Device

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I believe that you could do that either by setting email forwarding rules on your mail-server side (filter by job name) or by using some PowerShell scripts.

Thank you.
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner

Post by lxk3il »

Thanks for your ideas, PTide! Will try the powershell scrips as soon as I have time.
Also I intended to open a new thread rather than posting in this one, sorry for the inconvenience!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

[MEGRED]Re: Feature Request: Seperate Email Notifications p

Post by Mike Resseler »

Lukas,

We have seen this request quite a few times already, but straight from VEB. Your case is a bit different, yet interesting (but not that easy as it seems...). So for each endpoint, you would like VEB to sent an email to the user itself (which would be a manual adding of the email address for each endpoint) and I assume possibly a global email to the admins with an overview of all endpoints.

Is this correct?

Mike
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner

[MEGRED]Re: Feature Request: Seperate Email Notification

Post by lxk3il »

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your quick response!
Yes that's correct. Most of our customers with endpoint devices want to keep track of their backups on their own. Of course we could forward the 'global emails' from VBR to them, but it would be much better to just add their personal email address in addition to the global monitor email address, in the job configuration.

Cheers
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

[MEGRED]Re: Feature Request: Seperate Email Notifications

Post by Mike Resseler »

Lukas,

Noted. The PM team is reading and this most certainly will be discussed. Of course, this does not mean it will be in the product soon :-)

Keep the ideas coming ;-)

Mike
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner

[MEGRED]Re: Feature Request: Seperate Email Notifications pe

Post by lxk3il »

Thanks Mike,

I am very pleased to hear that!
Hopefully more people see the benefit in this feature and will support it! :)

Greetings
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hm, it seems the topic was duplicated for some reason – I’ve merged all the post in the existing thread and delete the duplicated post. Thanks
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

Forgive me but I'm not going to read though 7 pages.

I would like to see a single daily email from Veeam (assuming backing up to repo) with the status of all Endpoint backups.

I have the success email working but nothing to notify when it doesn't run.

I think this would be a great feature.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hey lobo519,
Thanks for the input. Just to clarify - you've configured global notifications in the VBR (which is you backup destination) to send an email report on success only (or you’ve additionally checked the warning and error options)? Thanks
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

Correct - I have the global setting to notify on any status. The bigger problem is there is no notification if it doesn't run at all (for whatever reason ie. disconnected from the network).

With a large number of endpoints it would be difficult to determine who I didn't receive an email from. That's why I think a single daily email with a list of all endpoints and their status/last backup date would be great.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Got it - good request indeed.
Regarding this issue
The bigger problem is there is no notification if it doesn't run at all (for whatever reason ie. disconnected from the network).
May I ask you to open a support case via Customer Portal as it does not look like expected and I wanted to ask the QA team to check. If you do – please share the case ID. Thanks!
cloggy
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dick Hoogendoorn

Post by cloggy »

With Eventlog Inspector 3 (freeware for non-commercial use) you can also be informed about the progress and end result of a VEB backup. The information can be a pop-up message and/or an email.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Good to know – thanks! I guess any tracking application that relies on Windows Event can monitor VEB. If anyone needs the exact list of VEB events: check this Help Center article.
Anunzia
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jaume

[MERGED] Notification email backup

Post by Anunzia »

Hello,
I´m using endpoint backup free (with destination usb drive) and I can´t see notifications of correct, fail... job backup, is possible to do any notificacion with this version?
Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Notification email backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Email notifications are not available in the standalone product. You should be using integration with VBR to get them. Thanks!
cloggy
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dick Hoogendoorn

Post by cloggy » 1 person likes this post

You can achieve this by using Eventlog Inspector (free for non-commercial use).
turkerol
Novice
Full Name: Erol TÜRK

[MERGED] Email notifications

Post by turkerol »

veeam endpoint backup email notifications series?
error or we can send notifications as email tasks accomplished?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

There is indeed no such functionality in the product, so your post is treated as a feature request. You might want to check possible workarounds desribed here. Thanks!
TRMUpstage
Novice
Full Name: Tom McKeown

Post by TRMUpstage »

Having email to show backup success or failure is essential when dealing with hundreds of computers. I'd love to have this feature added. I would think that it would be very simple to implement. If not email, a simple popup on the screen to show that the backup was successful would be very helpful as well. This is the main reason I have not started using this product across our domain. I have no way to monitor it.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Tom,

Fair, in other hand if you are using Veeam B&R repository as a target destination you get global email notification as a part of this integration. Thanks.
KevinM
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kevin Mauldin

Post by KevinM »

Dima P. wrote: Fair, in other hand if you are using Veeam B&R repository as a target destination you get global email notification as a part of this integration. Thanks.
We're currently using Veeam B&R with VEB and do indeed get email notifications, however I don't see any way to configure granular email settings for each endpoint job. With other B&R jobs it's possible to configure special notification settings outside the global settings, but that doesn't seem to be possible with Endpoint backups. Basically we're forced to rely on the global notification settings for VEB jobs, which is unfortunate.
Edit: at the very least it would be nice, in my case anyway, to have separate notification settings for endpoint jobs in general. It wouldn't need to be configurable for each and every endpoint job.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

however I don't see any way to configure granular email settings for each endpoint job.
That’s true - VEB job is not like a regular backup job in VBR since it’s managed by the VEB itself, so global notification is the only possible solution right now. There is a workaround but that involves custom scripting at the VEB's end.
ben.nakagawa
Influencer
Full Name: Ben Nakagawa

Post by ben.nakagawa »

I'm came from Acrons TrueImage backup. I still use it for main desktop PC because of few neat features that I like and this is ( email notification) is one of them.
With my work laptop and tablet I use Endpoint Desktop and I quite like the simplicity.

+1000 for this feature request.

In case of the True Image notification email;
It reports when it started how it goes ( Just like the restore point detail page show progress and duration whcih is only the final result) and subject line sage whcih backup was successful or failed.,

As I schedule TrueImage on weekly basis at Saturday night when I just keep PC on that day and automatically send me email and showdown when done after email whcih is very handy.

Thanks
JudgeFudge
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by JudgeFudge »

Hi Ben, I don't want to clap on my own shoulders but this will work

veeam-endpoint-backup-f33/here-it-is-po ... ml#p178957

You have a detailed information about installation and Screenshots a few posts earlier.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Guys,

The most requested feature is now available, the only thing you need to do is upgrade to the newly released VEB 1.5 :wink:
cjezell
Lurker
Full Name: C.J. Ezell

Post by cjezell »

Soooooooooooo close. Seriously, you can only email yourself??!?!?!?!?!? That's just being petty Veeam. It CAN'T be THAT difficult to create an additional "To:' field. Restricting the email notifications to only send to yourself it worthless in an SMB environment. :(
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi cjezell,

Can you elaborate on how you want to configure the email reporting in your environment please?
cjezell
Lurker
Full Name: C.J. Ezell

Post by cjezell »

Sure thing. It would be great to have the ability to specify where the emails go, instead of them just defaulting to the account whose credentials you put in. Also, it would be nice to be able to specify successful backup emails to one address, and failures to another. We have successful backup notifications go to an email address that creates and then immediately closes a ticket in our RMM system. This way, we have a record of the successful backup notification. Failures go to our regular support queue and a ticket gets created for us to work. We use a simple IMAP account to send out the notifications from the software, but that account never gets checked for incoming email, because it should never actually receive any emails, it's only used for outbound smtp to our ticketing system.

I have attached a couple of examples of how a competing product handles email notifications. I hope this helps.