Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
henwal
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Henrik Waltenburg

Feature Request:exclude files in backup mode Entire computer

Post by henwal »

Hi
Great product! I would like to mass deploy in my organization - but I miss a feature for excluding files like Outlook Offline Post files (*.pst). Temporary files are excluded from beeing backed up in mode Entire Computer. I would like to exclude my *.pst file. It changes all day long and there is no really need for me to restore a .pst file. The emails are at the Exchange Server, which off course is backed up by Veeam.

Regards, Henrik W
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request:exclude files in backup mode Entire comp

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Henrik,

You can go to file level backup, check all existing volumes and then add .pst file to exclusion list.

P.S. PST is a ‘personal outlook data’ file that keeps exported or archived data from your mailbox (basically, this data is not stored at your Exchange anymore). Maybe you were referring to the OST which is an offline copy of your live mailbox?
henwal
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Henrik Waltenburg

Post by henwal »

You are right. I'm referring to .ost files.
I'm aware of the file level backup. For most of the workstations I would like to be able to do a bare metal restore. Bare metal restore is not supported using file level backup. My understandig is that a Entire Computer Backup is invalidated if succeeded by a file level backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Bare Metal Recovery requires volume level backup and by selecting an entire volume on a file level backup step the backup job is forced to run in volume level mode :wink: