Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
timlongbotham
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim Longbotham

Feature Request: File Level Recovery from Recovery Disk

Post by timlongbotham »

I'm backing up a device over a slow WAN and if I try to recover a file, the FLR wizard is realy slow and times out when trying to restore from an incremental backup. If I could spin up the Recovery iso at the site where the backup files are stored and use File Level Recovery to pull out an individual file and copy it somewhere, I only need to copy this one file over the WAN rather than trying to pull the whole backup across the slow link.
If however in the future Veeam B&R will be able to read these backup files and do FLR then this problem kind of goes away for me but it'd still be a useful feature to have.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request: File Level Recovery from Recovery Disk

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you will be able to point your Veeam Endpoint jobs to the backup repository and then run FLR operations from the backup console, so it should address this current scenario. Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

There is another possibility also. If at the site that holds the backup files you have one device that has endpoint installed on it, you can use that to recover files from other devices backups also.

In the FLR wizard, you need to go to the page "Backup Location" and then select the correct location. It might be that the FLR wizard will be on the second page (Restore Point) automatically, so you need to use the Back button to go to that first page. Select the correct backup and you can restore whatever you want

Cheers,

Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Tim, FLR operation via Veeam B&R console is now available in RC build. Please take a look at and let us know your feedback!
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Post by Moebius »

I tried to do a FLR booting from the Recovery Media (similar to what I can do from the installed application), but I don't seem to be able to do so. I only have the option to restore the whole system or single volumes - not to drill into them and see and select individual files.
Is this an inherent limitation of the WinPE environment, or am I just missing something?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Lucio,
Is this an inherent limitation of the WinPE environment, or am I just missing something?
Recovery media does not support file level recovery – only volume level recovery is available.