Feature Request: Retention by Destination Usage

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

[MERGED] Feature Request:"Backup Fit" and/or "Free Up Space"

Veeam Logoby voyager529 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:29 pm

I am weird. I've got 2.5TBytes of storage on my laptop, and I don't have much room left...basically anywhere. Typically though, I back up my C: drive to my S: drive.

What I'd like to do is one of two things. First, I'd like to be able to have an option that says, "if today's backup job won't fit, delete old stuff until it does." Perhaps with an optional pop-up notification that would say "you have backups between 01 Oct and 18 Oct. To perform a backup for 19 Oct, you'll have to delete the following backups: 01 Oct, 02 Oct, 03 Oct. Would you like to skip this backup run, or delete previous backups to make space?".

Simiarly, I'd love to be able to have a "Vote old backups off the island" option. Suppose that on my 1TB drive, I've got 100GB left. It's enough to run the next 55GB backup, but what I really need right now is to be able to create a 250GB VM. I'd like to be able to select backups to delete in such a way that Veeam would be aware of it and consolidate where possible. Ideally, it'd allow me to pick backups to remove, and then have a running total of how much space would be freed up by deleting them, so that I could work accordingly. Perhaps there could be a quick and dirty "delete everything except enough data to turn the most recent successful backup into a bare metal recovery point" button.

Thanks for considering these!

Joey
voyager529
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joey Famiglietti

Re: Feature Request: Retention by Destination Usage

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Hello Joey,

Thanks - that is a good feedback. I've merged your post to existing thread to keep the similar requests in one thread. Cheers!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

[MERGED] Feature Request- auto prune oldest restore point

Veeam Logoby john.willis » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:56 pm

It would be useful to have a checkbox to allow an Override of Backups to retain: based on available free space percentage of total available on the target.

Just leave the problem of deciding when to trigger an Override up to us.. I understand estimating how much is required for a forward incremental may be difficult.. but if we have a percentage.. it makes it independent of the actual drive or target size.

To be sure, always retain the last Full backup, but bring them all forward so we have at least the latest available until we ran out of space for incrementals.
john.willis
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: John Willis

[MERGED] Re: Feature Request- auto prune oldest restore poin

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi John,

Thanks thats a valid request! The only thing that bothers me in the request is this: imagine you got a large incremental backup file, let’s say you copied HD movie to the local hard drive and then backup kicks in. With the described logic it should overwrite the valid restore point. When it comes to recovery needed restore point might simply be erased.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby john.willis » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:57 pm

I am not sure I understand what your suggesting.

In this theorectical failure point, integrating the old restore point with the new incremental would fail?

I guess your proposing that the last incremental failed, and that bringing the old restore point forward by integrating that with the old (failed) restore point would fail the integration and corrupt the only available restore point.

That is useful information; it tells me the order in the procedure when a new incremental is taken is to [first] perform the step of bringing the old recovery point up to date. And it tells me that there is no check for the validity of the last incremental, or check that the last incremental succeeded.. I would suggest that be a [very high] priority feature going forward for many reasons (a user could change the number of retore points to save in the config and wipe out their backups!).. but if it isn't there now, then your point is valid and understood.
john.willis
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: John Willis

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:08 pm

Thanks! I was talking about potential issues such ‘backup threshold’ overlap may bring. By the way there is a built in health check even now :wink:
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:54 pm 1 person likes this post

I think this thread may be a candidate for merging with Feature Request: Retention by Destination Usage.

I think this is my #1 feature request for VEB. On endpoints, I've been using Windows Backup. It fills up the disk and then starts culling old restore points as needed to continue on forever. VEB requires setting the exact number of restore points to keep. That means that either I underestimate, and waste space on the destination disk, or have a future backup fail due to lack of available disk space. It would be so much more convenient if I could configure VEB with two numbers for restore points: Min and Max. If the disk fills up, old restore points would be removed to accommodate. If the disk was full at the Min level, then it would fail.

I think this makes a lot of sense for endpoints with dedicated backup storage, but not so much when backing up to a VBR repository or SMB folder. So, I can see what the current design is based on. When the storage is not dedicated to a single system, you want a rigid retention setting. But VEB is great for home users and other systems that do have dedicated backup storage.
mkaec
Expert

Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Marc K

Re: Feature Request: Retention by Destination Usage

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:16 am

Marc,

Agree, this feature makes total sense from end-user perspective if you have a dedicated storage per endpoint.

P.S. Thanks for pointing to the correct thread – all posts are now merged in a single thread.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows