Feature Request (not available in EP 1.0) - Scripting Job

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Feature Request - Scripting Job config during Install

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:12 am

agossett wrote:... If i could take that config file and replace it with "\\servername\division\%username%\backup" that would probably get what i am looking for would it not?

This question might be for a different/new thread but instead of having to type in user credentials would you be able to add a checkbox to use windows credentials, like SSO?
Also when using credentials for a shared folder which is what I am doing, are those credentials encrypted or stored in plain text?

This would be a nice feature for unattended installation via GPO / msi. The use of windows credentials is essential for me. Think of computers with critical data... it would be essential to make these backups inaccessable for "normal users", despite the need for encrypted backups, which is another feature request
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:22 pm

Hello guys,
I have to upset all of you – it’s impossible send an Endpoint configuration via GPO (script,.xml file, etc). The only supported scenario for v1 is silent install, but configuration must be performed manually on every Endpoint.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby agossett » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:47 pm

When I configure my backup, are those settings store in any editable way? Such as in a an .xml file etc.?

Also this would be an awesome feature that might be pretty easy to add in the next version/update?
agossett
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adam Gossett

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Adam,
Nope – the backup configuration is kept inside the database. Counted as a feature request :)
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby agossett » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Dima,

Ah, I'm guessing it might be pointless to request that to be changed haha.

I am open to be a tester for scripting this if that is something you guys do. We currently have a different backup solution that we use but I do not really care much for it so I have been looking pretty hard for a replacement and i think that this could be a pretty great replace with just a few extra features added in.
agossett
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:51 pm

Adam,
Any request is valid here at the forums and I’ve noted you to be a first person to test this feature if it’s get implemented someday :wink: By the way, what are the additional features you were talking about (except the described above of course)?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby agossett » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:08 pm

That sounds great!

I am not really sure what I have said where and when so I'll just not everything that I can think off haha.

1. Obviously scripting every aspect of the configuration of the job.
2. Use windows credentials for the backup location instead of having to type in username and password in case (Like I do) you have a policy to change your password every 90 days. (minor but could reduce the cause of confusion a lot I think)
3. When you are selecting a shared location it would be nice to be able to browse to each folder instead of only seeing the root folders on a computer (There is a way around this which is to manually type in the full UNC path minor but again could reduce confusion)
agossett
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:15 pm

agossett wrote:...
2. Use windows credentials for the backup location instead of having to type in username and password in case (Like I do) you have a policy to change your password every 90 days. (minor but could reduce the cause of confusion a lot I think)

I just read in the documentation that windows credentials are used if you work with a Veeam B&R repository http://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/10 ... vents.html
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Veeam Logoby agossett » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:09 pm

Unfortunately, I would have to a shared folder path and not a repository.
agossett
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks for the hints! Yup, it’s possible to use windows credentials even in v1, moreover, you can use local computer accounts for shared folder or VBR repository.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby agossett » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:01 pm

My aplogies, I was thinking of something like this http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/doc ... xvb-19.jpg

When I log on with vsphere I can simply check the "use windows session credentials" and I do not have to type in my username or password. It will just simple use the current logged on user's credentials. Does that make more sense?

My fear is that when it comes time for a user to change there password (every 90 days) that they will not know/remember that they need to update there password in the backup configuration as well. This would eliminate that fear as it would just use the username and password that had signed on to that computer.
agossett
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:14 am

Adam,

That’s why you can uncheck the box This share requires access credentials and use NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account :wink:

From the Help Center - Specify Shared Folder Settings: If you do not select the This share requires access credentials check box, Veeam Endpoint Backup will connect to the shared folder using the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account of the computer where the product is installed. You can use this scenario if the Veeam Endpoint computer is joined to the Active Directory domain. In this case, you can simply grant Full Control access on the shared folder and underlying file system to the computer account(DOMAIN\COMPUTERNAME$).
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby agossett » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:55 am

My computer is a Domain computer that the access to the shared folder is controlled by policy so i am unable to use local account credentials and have to use my domain account. For security policy reason's we can not give file share access to a computer.

It works just fine once I put in my credentials I am just saying that it might be a lot easier for people if you had an option that would pass current windows session credentials which would include domain accounts.
agossett
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:37 pm

Adam,

I think this is a good idea and we will discuss this further. A simple checkbox saying - use the current credentials. I believe it might even be "hidden" when we discover that it is NOT a domain account.

Thanks for the idea!

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request (not available in EP 1.0) - Scripting Jo

Veeam Logoby agossett » Wed May 20, 2015 2:17 pm

Hello,

Any update as to weither or not some if not all of these features in this post will be in the next update? If so, any idea when that will be released?

Curious as we are about to image about 125 new machines for next school year, I would wait to start imaging those machines if I knew that these are going to be included in the next update and that update was going to be released in time for us to included it in our image.

Thanks You,
Adam
agossett
Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows