Feature Request (not available in EP 1.0) - Scripting Job

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Feature Request (not available in EP 1.0) - Scripting Job

Veeam Logoby zauner.gerald » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:52 am

It would be a nice feature to specify the basic backup job configuration and job schedule for an unattended installation of the product.
Any kind of setup parameter, setup script file or recorded Installer files were good solutions for us...
zauner.gerald
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Zauner Gerald

Re: Feature Request - Scripting Job config during Install

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:13 am

Hi Gerald,

We will provide basic ways of making sure that you can deploy it through Group Policy for example. Then you will be able to also deploy it through SCCM or something like that. I don't have the exact details yet, but the basic way will be in GA.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby JuA » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Hi,

The Desktop Guys are considering to use VEB for all our laptops. Is there a "roadmap" for the future releases (date/feature).

The most important feature being the subject of this post : Scripted/automated install, Scripted/automated job creation. And better B&R integration ?

Regards,

Julien
JuA
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Julien A

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:46 pm

We do not provide roadmaps for any of our products, but if you would like to see some functionality you're missing in the current version, then your feedback would be highly appreciated.

Silent installation and initial configuration make sense to me as well, but can you please tell us what VB&R integration capabilities you would like to see apart from what we have now?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:55 am

Hi Julien,

scripted installation already works by using the /s switch. It is not possible to do automatic job creation at this point however. And as Vitaliy says... Let us know what exactly you are looking for

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby JuA » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:10 pm

For the VBR integration, what's in the current version looks nice (I didn't tested extensively yet).

For the automated install/configuration, command lines like the examples bellow, with the opportunity to give every possible options would be nice. Or the same with 2 commands like in the last example.

Examples :

# Silent install and Sched full backup to NAS
d:\INSTALLS\VeeamEndpointBackup_1.0.0.1921.exe /s /sched BkpMode=Entire DestType=Shared Dest=\\nascorp07\vbe\corplaptop042\ DestCreds=DOM\jconors RestorePoints=14 SchedDaily=12:30 ActionAfterDailyBkp=Sleep BkpEvents=Lock,Logoff,TargetConnected HoursBeforeNextBkp=3

# Silent install and Sched full backup to VBR Bkp Repo
d:\INSTALLS\VeeamEndpointBackup_1.0.0.1921.exe /s /sched BkpMode=Entire DestType=VBR Dest=veeamserver.corp:10001 VBRrepository=DXi10TLaptops DestCreds=DOM\jconors RestorePoints=14 SchedDaily=12:30 ActionAfterDailyBkp=Sleep BkpEvents=Lock,Logoff,TargetConnected HoursBeforeNextBkp=3

# Silent install and Sched file backup to VBR Bkp Repo
d:\INSTALLS\VeeamEndpointBackup_1.0.0.1921.exe /s /sched BkpMode=Files BkpItems="OS,Personnal" BkpFiles="c:\corp\data,d:\STUFF,e:\noco" VolumLevelItems="e:" DestType=VBR Dest=veeamserver.corp:10001 VBRrepository=DXi10TLaptops DestCreds=DOM\jconors RestorePoints=14 SchedDaily=12:30 ActionAfterDailyBkp=Sleep BkpEvents=Lock,Logoff,TargetConnected HoursBeforeNextBkp=2

# Silent install, no config
d:\INSTALLS\VeeamEndpointBackup_1.0.0.1921.exe /s

# Sched file backup to VBR Bkp Repo
"C:\Program Files\Veeam\EndPoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Configurator.exe" /overWriteSched BkpMode=Files BkpItems="OS,Personnal" BkpFiles="c:\corp\data,d:\STUFF,e:\noco" VolumLevelItems="e:" DestType=VBR Dest=veeamserver.corp:10001 VBRrepository=DXi10TLaptops DestCreds=DOM\jconors RestorePoints=14 SchedDaily=12:30 ActionAfterDailyBkp=Sleep BkpEvents=Lock,Logoff,TargetConnected HoursBeforeNextBkp=2

Best regards

Julien
JuA
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi Julien, thanks for these detailed examples, much appreciated. Once the product is installed, I believe you would also need some sort of central management, monitoring and reporting for Endpoints? Out of curiosity, how many laptops you would like to protect with Veeam Endpoint?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JuA » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:51 am

Of course yes, the administrator of the VB&R Server should be able to :
- Change the schedule of one or several laptops (haha!! All laptops are not online when they do it ! :) )
- Print a list of backed-up laptops
- Print a list of laptops not backed-up since XX days
- Set a default scheduling to put on laptop which peered to the server without giving a schedule

I don't know how many laptops we have. About 100.
JuA
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Got it! BTW, do you use any RMM tool in your infrastructure?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby agossett » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:17 pm

This, a thousand times this.

I work at a k-12 school that has a large 1 to 1 program. That students are supposed to be backing up there files to their personal network drives but they are kids and majority dont remember to do this.

If there was a way that I could script VEB to configure a backup job that would select folders X, Y and Z on there machines, target their network drive, set the time and set the amount of data points that would be GREAT!

Then I could push this out silent (GOP or SCCM) and push out this script for each student and all of there files would be backed up no matter what.
agossett
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adam Gossett

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:46 am

Adam,
I wonder, how many endpoints would you like to protect?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby DFEX » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi there!

Is there an msi-file for installing/updates/upgrades available? I have only found the exe-file which do not help a lot with Grouppolicies (only).
Thanks.
DFEX
Novice

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi DFEX,
Extract the VeeamEndpointBackup_1.0.0.1954.exe setup with WinRAR - msi should be inside
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby agossett » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:40 pm

Dima,

I would be looking to protect roughly 350 endpoints. Is there an XML or some other sort of config file that stores the backup configs that could be modified. For example I have my machine being backed up to my personal drive so it looks something like this "\\servername\division\agossett\backup" If i could take that config file and replace it with "\\servername\division\%username%\backup" that would probably get what i am looking for would it not?

This question might be for a different/new thread but instead of having to type in user credentials would you be able to add a checkbox to use windows credentials, like SSO?
Also when using credentials for a shared folder which is what I am doing, are those credentials encrypted or stored in plain text?
agossett
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adam Gossett

Veeam Logoby DFEX » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:07 am

Hi Dima P.
Thanks for the tipp! I have already done but have stopped searching when I have seen the "setup.exe" inside. But after your post here I digged deeper and have found the msi's here "EndpointBackup.1.0.0.1954\EndPoint\EndPoint" and a lot of other msis for the dependencies for instance inside "EndpointBackup.1.0.0.1954\EndPoint\Redistr\x64". The dotNetFx is again packed inside another exe-file.

What I have not found till now is a mst-file, a "Customization Wizard" or a Manual with the settings to know what to set correctly. (Backupplan, Target, Credentials, Update-behaviour, etc)
Do you know these?
Thanx!
DFEX
Novice

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows