Feature request - shutdown/lock/sleep when completed

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Shutdown after success backup

Veeam Logoby ehj » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Can you add options to shutdown computer after success backup.
ehj
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Einar Jóns

Re: Feature request - shutdown/lock/sleep when completed

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:14 pm 1 person likes this post

Hello Einar,
Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing your idea. We are in discussions regarding this feature request so any feedback is highly appreciated.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby frakka » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:22 am

It be useful also for us.
frakka
Novice

Full Name: Matteo Fracassetti

[MERGED] Feature Request - automatic shutdown after backup

Veeam Logoby Washi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:38 am

I think that interesting feature would be possibility of turning off the computer after the backup.
Washi
Veeam Vanguard

Full Name: Piotr Masztafiak

Veeam Logoby KevinW » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:30 am 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, I've just downloaded and tested the RC and I was just wondering if any of the following functionality will be included in a future release:

1. Right click on VEB system tray icon and select "Backup then Shutdown".
2. Or on windows 8.x metro interface, a drop down selection on power options for "backup then shutdown" (similar to "install updates then shutdown" for windows updates)
3. Or failing the inclusion of either of the previous suggestions - A tick box for backup At the following events: Shutdown.

Currently the only way to shutdown the computer after a backup is to schedule it (unless the logoff tickbox now works as a precursor to shutting down.). As a home user I would generally like to initiate a "backup and shutdown" when I had finished browsing/working etc... so I can just walk away from my machine. To select this on an ad-hoc basis would be preferable to having the machine back up on every shutdown.

Could you please let me know your thoughts?

Cheers

Kev
KevinW
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Kevin Wilcox

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:02 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Kev,
While I have a strong feeling that making this option global may cause more bad than good (users have to think twice while setting the backup events plus that option), I like the idea of ‘backup now then shutdown’ one time operation. Thanks for sharing!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:47 pm 1 person likes this post

I like it too.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Re: Feature request: shutdown on success

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:52 am

lrosa wrote:An option "shutdown Windows on successful backup" could be very useful.

This could have two major advantegs. The first is of course power saving. The second is a feedback to the user: if he/she finds the PC turned off knows that the backup was successful.

ciao,
luigi

This sounds good, but wouldn't it be more power saving when the PC gets turned off every time after backup, whether successful or not? :idea:
To give the user a feedback... show him a pop-up on next system startup / logon, whether backup was successful or not. Users also should have the option to only display this pop-up if the last backup contained warnings or failures.

I know Veeam Endpoint is not specially for all the non-technical users out there, but only because I'm a sys-admin and I'm dealing with system messages all day doesn't mean, that I wouldn't like to have a "fire and forget" backup solution for my workstation. Scripting with powershell, before/after commands and so on are features that we all love... but functions like "backup and shutdown" are essential in every backup solution (but not in Veeam Backup & Recovery hehe :D )
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:57 am

Hey Sebastian,

I agree that it would good to shutdown the PC no matter what, but maybe after the 2nd or 3rd (automatic) retry or something. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of having a pop-up for the end-user.

What I might see in the future (We need to think about that :-)) is that the sysadmin gets a message through the integration of B&R or something. There is also a very long thread about central management in this forum (and I haven't said we are going to do that sooner or later :-)) but this would be something that fits in there also.

Anyway, we appreciate a lot all of your feedback, and this is just another one that goes into my notebook as something to put on the table :-D

With all of your feedback, it better be a very large table :-D

Thanks a lot all

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:16 am

Mike Resseler wrote:Hey Sebastian,

I agree that it would good to shutdown the PC no matter what, but maybe after the 2nd or 3rd (automatic) retry or something. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of having a pop-up for the end-user.

Retry x-times sounds good, and has been proven as very very useful in B&R

Mike Resseler wrote:What I might see in the future (We need to think about that :-)) is that the sysadmin gets a message through the integration of B&R or something. There is also a very long thread about central management in this forum (and I haven't said we are going to do that sooner or later :-)) but this would be something that fits in there also.

I didn't look into that thread for some time, but the pop-up is usefull for those who either don't have B&R and therefore no central repo / admin interface, or for those who don't want to use, or can't use the same B&R server as for the vm backups.
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:40 pm

Actually, we do have retries already in the RC, I believe they go for 23 hours actually.
Dmitry, please confirm if the option to shutdown triggers after successful backup only?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:54 pm

Yup, successful backup only and if the backup was canceled manually shutdown or sleep is not triggered.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby g7cnp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:13 am

I have tried several times with different backup products to script an automatic backup on shutdown, this would delay shutdown until the backup had completed. Now here's the tricky bit, if I restart rather than shutdown then i'm obviousely in the middle of something so don't want to do a backup. it seems very difficult to detect the difference between shutdown and restart, but I think that would suit many peoples requirements.

Huw
g7cnp
Novice

Full Name: Huw Weatherhead

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:00 pm

g7cnp wrote:I have tried several times with different backup products to script an automatic backup on shutdown, this would delay shutdown until the backup had completed. Now here's the tricky bit, if I restart rather than shutdown then i'm obviousely in the middle of something so don't want to do a backup. it seems very difficult to detect the difference between shutdown and restart, but I think that would suit many peoples requirements.

Huw

Windows Event Log generates another entry when restarting and not shutting down. Might this be helpful for the developers?
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:52 pm

I have tried several times with different backup products to script an automatic backup on shutdown

How about using this option (it is available in the UI > Configure Backup > Schedule step) in the Veeam Endpoint Backup for daily backups. Does that work for you?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows