Feature request - shutdown/lock/sleep when completed

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Feature request - shutdown/lock/sleep when completed

Veeam Logoby g7cnp » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:13 am

I assume you're refereeing to the 'at log off' option, however I would always choose shutdown rather than logoff, I wouldn't mind logging off and leaving the pc running if it would shutdown when the backup finishes.
g7cnp
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Huw Weatherhead

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Huw,
At log off event could be used to trigger backup job start; however shutdown after successful backup option is available as a part of Scheduled (daily at) backup option.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby g7cnp » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:19 pm

what happens if multiple options are selected? is it an OR relationship or an AND?
g7cnp
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Huw Weatherhead

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:28 pm 1 person likes this post

It is OR relationship. That's the strength of the scheduler that you can select multiple triggers. The only non-OR is the "do not backup when last backup is younger than X hours..."
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:30 pm

You can select multiple options. The backup will be triggered once by the first received event, then Backup no more often than XX counter prevent the next backup from being started (its configurable at the Schedule step of the wizard)
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:17 am 1 person likes this post

Using the backup on logoff and shutdowen after successful backup sounds like a nice workaround... But: you are referring Endpoint as a product mainly for end users. We all know that only very very few people out there, so called "end users", have never heard of Veeam :wink: and you state that the product needs to be kept simple for those end users. I don't think its simple to tell the user he has to log off in order to shutdown his computer after work is done. This sounds simple.... but all of us have been trained since Win95 to use the shut down option in order to shut down the computer. And now there is Endpoint... "please log off to shutdown". Simple said. As I know from my first days, when working with end users, there is will be no understanding why the should now log off instead of shutdown. Even if the understand it, they will forget about it after two days and continue clicking on shutdown to shutdown :twisted:

Once I opened a support case for this and the supporter told me it has to do something with keeping the needed services running, while system tries to shut down everything (case # 00888385). What I don't understand is why software like Acronis TrueImage is able to keep the needed services running and start backup on shutdown event?!

The statement of g7cnp of starting a backup "in the middle of something" when a restart was initiated rather than a shutdown could lead to bit frustration, this is true. But how often does the normal end user restart his computer "in the middle of something"?
Another approach to work whith this could be to display a message "press any key within 10 seconds, or automatic backup will start". The same procedure as automatic start of chkdsk during startup if filesystem seems not clean. <<-- This would be a really great one! I have installed Endpoint on about 50 clients from our customers now, and nearly all of them looked a bit confused when I told them that Endpoint is not able to start backup on shutdown event. They all know this is technical possible, as most of them know Acronis TrueImage from former days
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:26 pm

Sebastian,
Good post and good feature request indeed. Correct me if I am wrong - I think we should just add the shutdown event under the existing logoff checkbox?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:45 am

Exactly.
The best way in my opinion, if thats possible, is to show the message as stated in my last post
display a message "press any key within 10 seconds, or automatic backup will start". The same procedure as automatic start of chkdsk during startup
this will be very helpful for those who just want to restart their computer, without backup starting everytime.
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:50 am

I guess such message is not needed if we are able to identify the proper system events and start a backup only after shutdown ignoring the reboot. Thank again - we will definitely discuss your request!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:52 am

Great, thanks!
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:36 pm

Dima P. wrote:we should just add the shutdown event under the existing logoff checkbox?

Dima, actually we had it there for quite some time :D but, it was causing some major issues, so we have specifically removed it before the release.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby hoFFy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:17 pm

What about fixing the issues for a future release? :D
hoFFy
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby KevinW » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi Guys,

Still loving the products (VB&R and VEB)... A while back I suggested a "backup then shutdown" option in veeam and you guys said you liked it. Has there been any developments on this?, this could be as easy as Right clicking on the VEB icon in the system tray, selecting "Backup" then adding a new field called "Backup then shutdown" which simply appends the windows shutdown command at the end of a backup job - Personally I'm not worried about whether the backup finishes successfully as this would be reported when the user next logs in..

This makes it very easy for the non-techie user (like my dear old mum) to confidently backup their machines before shutting down without too much effort...

Cheers

Kev
KevinW
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Kevin Wilcox

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Hey Kev,
Thank you for the kind words!
A while back I suggested a "backup then shutdown" option in veeam and you guys said you liked it.

We’ve added the similar functionality to the daily scheduled backup (shutdown after daily backup) and polished it more in the latest update. Do you still want the manual “backup then shutdown” option or the said option is enough?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Dima, I don't see how this is a replacement...
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows