Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
deubelm
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Feature Request: sql server log truncation disabled by default in Veeam Backup Agent

Post by deubelm »

Hi there,
as the subject implies.

Cheers
Marcus
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Feature Request: sql server log truncation disabled by default in Veeam Backup Agent

Post by wishr »

Hi Marcus,

Would you like the log truncation to be disabled by default? What's the reason for that?

Regards,
Fedor
deubelm
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Re: Feature Request: sql server log truncation disabled by default in Veeam Backup Agent

Post by deubelm »

Hello Fedor,
the reasons are pretty obvious:
1. that's a behaviour of spyware. Software doing things on my computer without telling and without possibilty to turn it off (except tweaking the registry),
2. that behaviour lead to failed backup runs of my computer. I could only assume it might have something to do with the last software I had installed which was SQL Server.
It's a must have option not a nice to have option.

Regards,
Marcus
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for the feedback, but I would argue with these statements.

1. You can disable log truncation by unticking AAIP checkmark completely or by using the Copy Only option with AAIP enabled. It's a user preference what setting to use and the backup approach should be planned prior to running backups, especially if you'd like to perform a transactionally consistent backup (as most of the Veeam customers do) or let any other application handle the SQL T-logs.
2. There should be a reasonable explanation of that behavior that should be investigated. You may workaround it using the aforementioned settings and reach out to our support team if any assistance is required.

Regards,
Fedor