Feature Request - Central Management Console

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Feature Request - Manage backups

Veeam Logoby motoxrdr21 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:53 pm 1 person likes this post

Mike Resseler wrote:Hi,

As we stated, today it is a standalone product and there won't be any manager at the time of GA. But we certainly will keep your feedback in our mind for later use. It would be great if you could tell us what some (or all) things are that you want to be able to do with that manager.

Thanks

Mike

I have to add another +1 to the central management console. Features that would be nice to have:
-Remote deployment of agents, either through the console or using an msi and Group Policy.
-WakeOnLan (or similar) that works in conjunction with scheduled backups so we don't have to rely on a separate task to wake or power on endpoints.
-Location detection (likely based on a list of subnets or gateway IPs) so traveling agents don't push a backup over a WAN or VPN link.
-Scheduled reporting, emails when a client hasn't been backed up in N days, or a backup fails.
-Client grouping (either manually or by OU)
motoxrdr21
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Steve Galambos

Re: Feature Request - Central Management Console

Veeam Logoby nvetrano » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:35 pm

A nod to the console requests. As I understand it there will be some management in the Veeam B&R Console added in the future. But what about a web management for Endpoint, like the Veeam Enterprise Manager? Then perhaps having only a restore request accessible to the end user, and the admin being able to run the file restore right from the web console.
nvetrano
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil

Veeam Endpoint Management Solution?

Veeam Logoby SamVan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:01 pm

Roadmap/Future Functionality Question:
wondering if Veeam is thinking about designing a management solution for Endpoint.Or should still rely on VBR if need mgmt?
Endpoint Management solution would let the Backup admin, create new backup schedules, backup policies that could encompass multiple machines and control the entire environment using one single pane of glass. The difference would be that Endpoint unlike VBR can also backup physical machines in a management, global fashion. Being able to backup physical machines is a new, welcomed, long-awaited and most anticipated functionality from Veeam.
SamVan
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pahlavan

Feature Request - Central Management Console

Veeam Logoby jordpangborn » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:00 pm 1 person likes this post

It would be nice to have a Central Management Console for remote deployment, configuration and general management for a domain environment.
jordpangborn
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jordan Pangborn

Feature Request: Console Administration

Veeam Logoby breno.ribas » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:32 am

Hello everyone,

I think so the administration of Veeam Endpoint should be centralized from a console.

For example: I can configure a default backup job for 100 machines in the same time.

I believe that this option is very useful for big companies.

Thank you,

Breno Ribas
breno.ribas
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Breno Fernando Ribas

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Hello and welcome to the community,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts – we keep track of the similar requests in this thread, so I’ve merged your post to the existing discussions.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 449 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Catsrules » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:16 pm

Does using Veeam backup and replication give feedback on how the backups went if we store the backups on B&R server? We have Veeam backup and replication all setup for our VMs but we have a few physical stragglers that this would be the perfect solution for using Endpoint backup.
Catsrules
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:03 am

Yes, there will be limited statistics displayed about the jobs targeted to the backup server.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1117 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Catsrules » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:55 pm

Excellent, I can't wait.
Catsrules
Influencer

Veeam Logoby illiac4 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:10 am

Without central management Veeam Endpoint Backup is just another local backup software.
There are certain companies that are willing to pay for licenses to do backups from central admin console.

The central admin console should have features, that also enterprise level antivirus software has.
1. Integration with AD to read the OU or. computers.
2. Option to install/deploy the Veeam backup from central admin console to specific computers or. whole OUs.
3. Have an option to change backup setting and schedules job from central console.
4. Allows you to edit jobs or apply predefined jobs.
5. On client computer it should run as minimal as possible and should not use local mysql but instead have an option to use Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure (no gui needed on client).
6. It should have an option to send report to admin every day at specific time. Just like the Veeam Backup does.
7. It would be very practical for laptop users to be able to use CDP to backup files.
8. For end users i assume that bare-metal restore is usable but in corporates those things are not so usabe since the deployment is done differently. Something like if the disk chrashes the os is deployed over deployment server then gpo or. sccm does the job to install the needed software. Then the joining into the domain is being done and the backuped files are being restored to the client and he can start using the machine.
illiac4
Lurker

Veeam Logoby ninjaburn81 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:28 pm

illiac4 wrote:Without central management Veeam Endpoint Backup is just another local backup software.

Thaaaaaat's exactly what it's meant to be. ;)

I see and mostly agree with what you are suggesting here (many points match with a previous post of my own) but what you are mainly suggesting would require the system be rewritten as an agent-based software package. I would note that though not a bad idea, it's outside of the scope of the current application. The best option IMO is to embed some "phone home" triggers into the software that would be triggered with a paid enterprise license where statistics are shared between the local software and a "bolt-on" management console. That would give everything the corporations want in a reasonable time frame, and then in a few years Veeam can see impact/usage and decide if resources are there to build a complete enterprise package.

Just my thoughts...
ninjaburn81
Enthusiast

Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Veeam Logoby fyerovi » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi Veeam Moderator.

We all understand that the intention of Veeam Endpoint is to be an end-user solution, but many of us use it as an entreprise solution, therefore we NEED a central management console. Free edition is fine for your brand to be expanded worldwide and you guys are doing and incredible job! but many people is relaying in Veeam as an enterprise solution, as it does with B&R.

Please consider launching a PAID solution of Veeam Endpoint (yes, enterprises are OK with a Paid solution as long as it facilitates IT teams), and I encourage you guys consider this soon!..

Thank you.
fyerovi
Novice

Full Name: Fabricio

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi Fabricio,

There is some good feedback on minimum features required for this central management console, as well as probably reporting on backup job states of Endpoints. BTW, how many Endpoints do you currently have? Just want to understand a possible number of managed endpoints by this console.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby fyerovi » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:13 am

Hi Vitaliy..

Thanks for your quick reply. We are propartners and have several customers. My business particularily attends about 200 computers per customer, but you may find several more... Perhaps you may think of a Basic license with basic features, in the begining to launch first... My own suggestion.

Regards.
fyerovi
Novice

Full Name: Fabricio

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:13 am

Got it, thanks! Do you consider doing restores from this remote console? Usually end users should be able to do this themselves from the Endpoints, and bare-metal restore as well as volume restore should be done on site anyway.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows