Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Re: Feature Request - Multiple Jobs

Post by Anguel »

Hi,

I am currently using Symantec System Recovery Desktop but they have problems with Samsung SSDs so I would like to try Veeam Endpoint Backup.
I need to perform two backup jobs for each PC:
1. Nightly full independent images to a network share
2. Daily (e.g. every 2 hours) incremental backups to a local internal or USB drive

Can this be somehow achieved with Veeam Endpoint Backup and if not (because there is no possibility to schedule more than one job) are there any plans to implement this?

Thank you.

Anguel
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Anguel,

Currently, you cannot create multiple backup jobs in Veeam Endpoint, but we are considering adding such functionality down the road, though no ETA yet.

Thanks!
cibomato
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jochen Rupp

[MERGED] Multiple backup jobs possible?

Post by cibomato »

Hi,

I've done a backup of my data partition (D:) which should run at 18:30 every day from now and configured afterwards another job in order to backup my system partition (C:), which shoukd run at 16:30 every day from now.
Are there 2 independent jobs configured now or did I overwrite my first backup job with the second one?

Thanks and best regards,
jochen
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Jochen,
There is only one backup job – so you have overwritten the previous settings.
cibomato
Novice
Full Name: Jochen Rupp

Post by cibomato »

Dima,

thanks for your answer. Ok, that's what I've feared...
So maybe the only workaround could be to combine these 2 partitions in one job and e.g. backup the whole computer at once!?

Thanks and best regards,
Jochen
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jochen,
To tell the truth, since the very first BETA my endpoint has been working in ‘set it and forget it’ mode with entire pc being selected as a source ;)
csheward1
Lurker
Full Name: Cory Sheward

Post by csheward1 »

I second the request of a feature enhancement that allows the ability of multiple backup jobs especially being able to create an "on the fly" job without affecting the scheduled job(s).
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Cory,

You can backup on the fly on today, but it is to the same location. You can move that one afterwards without issues, but I do know that this is an additional step.

It is on our list

Mike
davide.depaoli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Davide Depaoli

Post by davide.depaoli »

Hello,
if you want to keep the tool simple, one option is to have an "Advanced Setting" button for users wants more flexibility.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Davide
Advanced settings for several job schedules, or you would like to hide some of the existing backup settings in under such advanced mode as well?
davide.depaoli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Davide Depaoli

Post by davide.depaoli »

Mine was a general talk, you can keep a simple interface for less demanding users, and advanced options "hidden" but available to those more advanced.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Davide,
Got it! Once again thank you for the detailed explanation of your request – I’ll keep your idea for next versions improvements discussions.
BOIN
Lurker
Liked: 2 times

Post by BOIN » 1 person likes this post

I agree with the fact that user interface should be more simple as possible.
But I agree too with the fact that in company infrastructure, we need more functionality like possibility of configuring multiple jobs on a same endpoint because we have a population and diversity of users, profiles and speciality that need more flexibilty.
So, the idea of 1 simple user interface and 1 expert interface could be the solution (like other free backup software)
The Veeam BackupEndPoint clear and simple interface is a good point !
marcinbojko
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Marcin Bojko

Post by marcinbojko »

Guys - multiple jobs.
You've asked why is is important feature for a home laptop/desktop.
Let me tell you why. Any selfaware user will try to separate OS from Data, by simplest possible way - separate volumes/partitions.
Let's simplify - my OS resides on disk 1 with volumes like (Reserved) and (SYSTEM). It's clear I need VOLUME backup as a quickest and complete way of restore my machine in a matter of minutes.
On a disk 2 (let's call it D). I have lots of data. SOme important, some less importand - and I would like to backup ONLY few folders. File based backup is the key. I don't want to backup WHOLE disk 2 od drive D 'cos it'a a lot of unimportant data. I want to be sure that my OS and DATA are backed up with ONE application and ONE (or many?) repositories.
So - multiple jobs or JOBS per volume are the key for me for COMPLETE DR. As for now I can only backup ONE thing at a time. I wouldn't mind to spare a few bucks for a tool that can do that without forcing a 'simplicity' rules.
I don't want to be ungratetful - I am happy Veeam B&R/ONE user - but user with awareness about backup/DR thing are not the same as 'one click because it's too complicated' pack ;)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Marcin,

Thanks for telling us our use-case.
One question: Today you can use a "hybrid backup", which means in the wizard, you select file-level backup and then select the entire C-drive (including reserved and system). That will be a volume-based backup. Then on your D-drive, you can select specific folders. That would be file-based backup.

Does that solve your case?

thanks

Mike
marcinbojko
Enthusiast

Post by marcinbojko »

Mike
great news! Let me try this feature.
marcinbojko
Enthusiast

Post by marcinbojko » 1 person likes this post

Mike,
it works as expected ;) Thanks!
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dwyer

Post by mattdwyerva »

I would like to have multiple jobs also, so adding my voice to this thread.

I would like to have one job that backups up the basic drives on my VBR server (volumes C/D), and a separate job that backs up many, many archived files (directory on drive G).
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

FYI, I would understand if new features push you to creating a commercial version of this product, or the need to pkg it as part of a Veeam suite.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Out of curiosity, have you consider just backing up the entire computer?
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

The array is 30 TB, mostly intended as a repository for VBR, so not really. Mind you, it is less than 30% full, but still that would be a ton of tapes.

The archive section in question is currently about 1 TB and will double in the next 6 months. I really intend(ed) to keep the archives on a WD4100 Pro NAS, but unless I make that part of a VM, I can't back it up with VBR, and VEP does not back up mapped drives. I had set the NAS as part of a VM, but that contributed to a catastrophe (complete loss of domain controller and all active projects on a VMW 6.0U1 system using CBT - but on a weekend right after a full backup which appears to have been unaffected by the CBT bug.... how lucky can I get and VBR restored it all in 3 hrs.

I could look for another backup pkg to backup the NAS instead of what I have done so far. I have unused licenses for two of your competitors whose pkgs I do NOT like... or WD has some kind of cloud backup system for the NAS, or I could use Google Drive, or I could use DropBox for Business, or AWS. Or something.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Matt,

Makes sense - thanks! By the way if NAS supports iSCSI you can mount the volumes via iSCSI initiator and back it up through VEB.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

It does support iscsi, and I did not understand that feature before. That should work best, thanks for the suggestion.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva » 1 person likes this post

well, just learned that iscsi is not so good for use by multiple people simultaneously. oh well, always good to learn.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Indeed :)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Matt,

Scripting might be an option: mount the iSCSI target, make a backup unmount it. If it scheduled during non-working hours that’s might do the trick.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

Thanks, but it finally occurred to me to define the iscsi as a share on the VBR server (W2008R2). I don't generally use that server for anything but backup, but... I think that will work. I can then share it, and back it up with VEB.
pleibling
Novice

Post by pleibling »

Hi,

i want to aks, if the feature "Multiple Jobs/Targets" ist planed and if there is an idea when the feature would implemented.

I think this feature is very important. Must of the user uses NAS, in Europe at this time are many encryption virus active - and most of the NAS are Online. In my situation too - every night works VEB and makes a Backup to my Storage in our Datacenter, but this drive is all the time connected to my Server. If my Server now gets a this virus my Data are encrypted AND maybe my Backups too.

For this situation i have an own local Storage, this is only for a short Backup Time in the Week active, after Backup they shutdown again. I hope my Date is in this way secure.

But with Veeam i can only create one Backup Job. So i use at this time Windows Backup too - it would be so cool if Veeam can handle more Backup Jobs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for your feedback and use case. Currently there is no ETA for this feature. As a workaround you can trigger a post backup job script to copy the required backup files to another location (to be protected from storage corruption).
pleibling
Novice

Post by pleibling »

&Hans a löst for your reply Vitaly. Is it possible to create a Powershell Script for a Second Job?