Feature Request - Multiple Jobs

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Feature Request - Multiple Jobs

Veeam Logoby marcinbojko » Wed May 13, 2015 7:54 am

Mike
great news! Let me try this feature.
marcinbojko
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Marcin Bojko

Veeam Logoby marcinbojko » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:25 pm 1 person likes this post

Mike,
it works as expected ;) Thanks!
marcinbojko
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Marcin Bojko

Veeam Logoby mattdwyerva » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:12 pm

I would like to have multiple jobs also, so adding my voice to this thread.

I would like to have one job that backups up the basic drives on my VBR server (volumes C/D), and a separate job that backs up many, many archived files (directory on drive G).
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Matt Dwyer

Veeam Logoby mattdwyerva » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:19 pm

FYI, I would understand if new features push you to creating a commercial version of this product, or the need to pkg it as part of a Veeam suite.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi Matt,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Out of curiosity, have you consider just backing up the entire computer?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 435 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby mattdwyerva » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:18 pm

The array is 30 TB, mostly intended as a repository for VBR, so not really. Mind you, it is less than 30% full, but still that would be a ton of tapes.

The archive section in question is currently about 1 TB and will double in the next 6 months. I really intend(ed) to keep the archives on a WD4100 Pro NAS, but unless I make that part of a VM, I can't back it up with VBR, and VEP does not back up mapped drives. I had set the NAS as part of a VM, but that contributed to a catastrophe (complete loss of domain controller and all active projects on a VMW 6.0U1 system using CBT - but on a weekend right after a full backup which appears to have been unaffected by the CBT bug.... how lucky can I get and VBR restored it all in 3 hrs.

I could look for another backup pkg to backup the NAS instead of what I have done so far. I have unused licenses for two of your competitors whose pkgs I do NOT like... or WD has some kind of cloud backup system for the NAS, or I could use Google Drive, or I could use DropBox for Business, or AWS. Or something.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:10 pm 1 person likes this post

Matt,

Makes sense - thanks! By the way if NAS supports iSCSI you can mount the volumes via iSCSI initiator and back it up through VEB.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mattdwyerva » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:12 pm

It does support iscsi, and I did not understand that feature before. That should work best, thanks for the suggestion.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby mattdwyerva » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:58 pm 1 person likes this post

well, just learned that iscsi is not so good for use by multiple people simultaneously. oh well, always good to learn.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 pm

Indeed :)
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2337 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:23 pm

Matt,

Scripting might be an option: mount the iSCSI target, make a backup unmount it. If it scheduled during non-working hours that’s might do the trick.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mattdwyerva » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:46 pm

Thanks, but it finally occurred to me to define the iscsi as a share on the VBR server (W2008R2). I don't generally use that server for anything but backup, but... I think that will work. I can then share it, and back it up with VEB.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby pleibling » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi,

i want to aks, if the feature "Multiple Jobs/Targets" ist planed and if there is an idea when the feature would implemented.

I think this feature is very important. Must of the user uses NAS, in Europe at this time are many encryption virus active - and most of the NAS are Online. In my situation too - every night works VEB and makes a Backup to my Storage in our Datacenter, but this drive is all the time connected to my Server. If my Server now gets a this virus my Data are encrypted AND maybe my Backups too.

For this situation i have an own local Storage, this is only for a short Backup Time in the Week active, after Backup they shutdown again. I hope my Date is in this way secure.

But with Veeam i can only create one Backup Job. So i use at this time Windows Backup too - it would be so cool if Veeam can handle more Backup Jobs.
pleibling
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:56 am

Thanks for your feedback and use case. Currently there is no ETA for this feature. As a workaround you can trigger a post backup job script to copy the required backup files to another location (to be protected from storage corruption).
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1092 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby pleibling » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:55 am

&Hans a löst for your reply Vitaly. Is it possible to create a Powershell Script for a Second Job?
pleibling
Novice

Liked: never

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows