Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jeancharles
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jean-Charles DEMARQUE

Feature Request? Reverse Incrementals on VAW/VAL

Post by jeancharles »

Hello,

Thank you for this great product, Veeam Agent for Windows works great on most of the servers I manage. I do have a request, maybe for a future release if others are interested in it and I did not miss it somewhere.

In VBR we mostly use Reverse Incremental, of Incremental with Synthetic Full Backups and converting to Reverse Incrementals.

In VAW we have to use Forward Incremental. When servers need a long retention (12 months) we tend to do daily backups and keep 370 restore points. If we ever have a problem with the restore chain, we lose all the most recent backups and that is not good.

Would it be possible as in VBR for VMs to add Reverse Incremental or Forward Incremental + Synthetic + Convert to Reverse Incremental?

It could be done by the VBR server itself maybe to limit the changes in the VAW process, as in a Backup Copy job for example?

Thank you for your work, and for your thoughts,
jeancharles
Enthusiast

Re: Feature Request? Reverse Incrementals on VAW/VAL

Post by jeancharles »

Sorry I found this after searching on the forum through a web search engine, feature was asked for in v1.5 :
https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-agent-fo ... 44-15.html

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-agent-fo ... se#p270580

I see apart from a Backup Copy job to have a Full made out of my Full + incrementals there is not much too hope for now.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jean.

Thank you for the kind words!
jeancharles wrote: In VAW we have to use Forward Incremental. When servers need a long retention (12 months) we tend to do daily backups and keep 370 restore points. If we ever have a problem with the restore chain, we lose all the most recent backups and that is not good
May I ask if periodic full backup (either active full or synthetic full) will help in your case to split the long incremental backup chain. Cheers!
jeancharles
Enthusiast

Post by jeancharles »

Well the problem is the servers are big file servers over 3TB, and even with NTFS deduplication enabled it does not fit well in the repository. I tried using backup copy jobs with monthlies but after two months the repository was full.
My best best would have been reverse incremental, I'll see if I can move the file servers to virtual machines, but I am sure I'll have a lot of problems with the requirements I have on those servers that prohibits them from being virtualized :(