Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Feature request: Temporarily exclude asset from protection group

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Occasionally, I need to exclude an asset from backup for one day. This would be easy to achieve in a VM job that targets, for example, a host or vCenter or something like that. I would merely add the VM to the list of exclusions, and this would override the inclusion.

Unfortunately, this does not appear to be possible for protection groups. I just now tried to add an asset that is listed in Protection Group > Active Directory tab to the Exclusions tab, but it wouldn't let me. Didn't actually throw an error or anything; just kept doing nothing at all, i.e. returning with a blank when I expected it to add the excluded asset to the Exclusions list. I really need the ability to exclude an asset without having to completely remove it from the protection group, which uninstalls the agent. I want to keep the agent installed. I merely want to skip backup of that one asset when I need to do so.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Feature request: Temporarily exclude asset from protection group

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi James,

- If a machine is explicitly added to the Include list, adding it also to the exclude list yields nothing - you should remove it from include instead.
- if an object container is added(say, OU) to the Include list, than adding a machine objects in the Exclude list will work, to filter those named

Removing machine from protection group Include list does not uninstall the agent.

/Thanks!