Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cell
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

featurerequest: Veeam Agent for windows behind NAT

Post by cell » Jun 19, 2018 10:44 am 2 people like this post

Hi, i know NAT is'nt really supported for Veeam agent but for what i can see it's possible with "a few" changes.
The main issue today seemes to be that the first communication back to the VBR server is using fqhn while the communication with the repository is made by ip (trying all available ip's on the repository-server).
If you change the communication from ip to fqhn to the repository-server, it would just be a matter och adding records to hosts-file or dns to get veeam-agent backup behind NAT to work.

To get backup to work with the current design you would first need to add portforward on the firewall on ( TCP 10001,10005,10006, 49152:65535,2500:5000 )
then add record to the hosts-file on the clients (to point traffic to the "client side ip" of the firewall handling the portforward)
finally you need to add a secondary ip(client side ip for the firewall) on the network-interface on the repository-server and restart Veeam data mover service.

my finding should be documented in case 03027245

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 755 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: featurerequest: Veeam Agent for windows behind NAT

Post by Dima P. » Jun 19, 2018 1:46 pm 1 person likes this post

Hello cell.

Thanks for sharing a workaround. I've added your vote to this feature request. Cheers!

albert@iwv.cloud
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by albert@iwv.cloud » Aug 23, 2018 7:59 am

Hello Veeam support

I also vote for this feature to be added in coming release of VBR. Thank you.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Aug 27, 2018 11:52 am

Hello and welcome to the community albert.

Thanks. Have you considered using Veeam Cloud Connect for your infrastructure? No only it eliminates the NAT issue but also allows you to perform backup over WAN directly to the backup repository. Thanks!

masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Magnus

Post by masonit » Aug 29, 2018 11:05 am

Hi

This is exactly what is needed: https://www.veeam.com/kb2098
I have tried it on vbr server with Veeam agents in protection group. But I does not seem to work. It presents repository with its fqdn host name. But only tries to connect with its ip-address.
Does this only work when communicating with Enterprise manager?

\Masonit

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Aug 29, 2018 4:03 pm

Magnus,

Enterprise Manager wont help. Agent requires Veeam B&R host name to be resolved properly from the agent side.

masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Magnus

Post by masonit » Aug 30, 2018 8:08 am

Dima P. wrote:Magnus,

Enterprise Manager wont help. Agent requires Veeam B&R host name to be resolved properly from the agent side.
Think you missunderstand the issue. Of course Enterprise manager won't help. But the principle is the same as the kb fix. Where VBR change it's behaivure to present it self to EM with fqdn name instead of internal ip-address. We would like the same fix for when VBR present it self to Veeam Agents. Or more specific when the repository-server presents it self as stated above by Cell.

\Masonit

albert@iwv.cloud
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by albert@iwv.cloud » Sep 03, 2018 8:30 am

Dima P. wrote:Hello and welcome to the community albert.

Thanks. Have you considered using Veeam Cloud Connect for your infrastructure? No only it eliminates the NAT issue but also allows you to perform backup over WAN directly to the backup repository. Thanks!
Dima, we have some servers in the same data center with agents installed. Since its under the same LAN and not involving WAN, i think cloud connect might be not suitable for this.
Please advise if i am wrong.
From what i understand, cloud connect is for service provider providing customer cloud backup storage from dumping backup data from their office premise or their own data center to us over the WAN. If for our case, we do have many servers with agents or HyperV or Vmware EXSi VMs where they are all under the same DC with LAN, cloud connect still relevant?

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1382 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Sep 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi Albert,

Yes, If you have issues with NAT and Veeam Agents, then yes, you may want to consider using Cloud Connect internally to work around this.

Thanks!

zx.savage
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dmitriy

Post by zx.savage » Sep 25, 2018 8:35 am

Vote!