Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mensa
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Free tool to restore file out of .vib?

Post by mensa »

Hello,

I use a free Agent on a Linux VM to backup and need now to restore a file from that .vib file on a Windows PC.
Is there a free tool to do that? Only the large B&R community edition? Or is there also a smaller tool?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Free tool to restore file out of .vib?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Microsoft Windows does not natively read Linux partitions, and even with Veeam Backup and Replicaiton Community Edition you will need a virtualization host where we can deploy temporary appliance "broker" that will allow to read data from said partition.
You can restore file using Linux agent itself and move it over the network to your windows PC.

With the release of v11, Veeam Backup & Replication will be able to mount backups to any managed linux server, excluding the need of a helper appliance.

/Thanks!
asdffdsa6131
Expert
Liked: 24 times

Post by asdffdsa6131 »

hi,

this should work
1. install vagent on windows pc
2. you can share the folder containing the .vib, using samba
or
copy the .vib to a usb drive with a file system that windows can read.

i am curious, as i thought vagent cannot restore a file from a .vib, as it is incremental, thus neededing a .vbk?
if i create a new file on my computer, run vagent which will create a new .vib and copy that entire file to that .vib, then can i recover that file from just the .vib, without need for the .vbk?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

- .vib is an incremental file, containing only changed blocks of data from previous backup, without it's dependent chain(full backup(.vbk)+previous increments(.vib) latest .vib itself is useless for restore operations.
- I am little bit confused with your scenario, you are posting in Veeam Agent for Windows forum, but trying to restore data from Veeam Agent for Linux? Installing an agent on a Windows based machine will not solve the case.
- Location of vib is irrelevant, it is data inside of it that matters - so if inside backup you have, for example, ext4 partition, than Windows will not read it no matter if its on a share or a usb stick - you need to retrieve content from a linux machine and move it over to Windows, if I understood the case correctly.

/Cheers!