Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
NaplesDave
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David King

Free Win Ed Encryption Protection

Post by NaplesDave »

Will the backup encryption feature of the Windows FREE edition help prevent "encryption" by a Bad Actor Virus? AKA: Can the encrypted backup be Re-Encrypted by a crypto locker virus or ERASED by a virus attack?
We are recovering from an attack and are not sure what to do to actually PROTECT our backups from encryption in the future. We use both Locally attached USB HD's and NAS SMB types of devices as targets.
My gut feeling right now is that nothing short of Un-Plugging it when not in use can actually guarantee a protected file.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Free Win Ed Encryption Protection

Post by Dima P. »

Hello David.

No, encryption would not save you from cryptolocker threats. The best way to deal with it is to keep you backups offline: on ejected usb device, tape media or secondary repository. For example with Veeam Agent for Windows you can configure backup job to eject your USB device after backup job is completed.
NaplesDave
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David King

Re: Air Gap box

Post by NaplesDave » 1 person likes this post

I am aware that the only way to Truly protect your data is to UNPLUG it from the system / network.
I have an electronics engineering background as well and I have developed a box that has a timer on it and RJ45 connectors on either side. Network In and Network Out.
The idea is to set the timer to turn on at a specific time, it connects the RJ45 jack between the 2 RJ45 jacks to connect the network to the NAS attached storage device.
The user sets the timer to auto disconnect at a specified time as well ( Allowing for enough time to do the backup), Then it disconnects the network from the device. This lessons the chance that the device will become corrupted or Erased when it is IDLE. I am now building the BOX that will connect and disconnect USB locally attached hard drives or Flash drives from the computer as well with a timer. If anyone is interested in this method they can contact me at techbyking.com
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi David.

Sounds interesting, thanks for sharing. There is a simple way to achieve the goal with USB device -you can check the box to auto eject the USB device after backup was completed (basically USB device becomes invisible for the OS). The drawback is that user must reconnect the device manually.
The idea is to set the timer to turn on at a specific time, it connects the RJ45 jack between the 2 RJ45 jacks to connect the network to the NAS attached storage device
That means you will have a dedicated network only for backup?
wilson
Novice
Liked: never

Post by wilson »

I have the newest version of Veeam Agent for Windows and I am using a portable USB drive as the target.
Backups work fine but it does not disconnect when completed though it is setup to do so.
Any suggestions
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

wilson,

Debug log analysis is required, so please open a case and let me know the case ID. Thank you!
arso96
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Arso Martinera

Post by arso96 »

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pr ... tion-apps/
these are the 5 best apps for encryption protection, although i have to say that the best way to protect efficiently your data is to UNPLUG it from the system / network
regards