Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Tobias K.
Novice
Liked: never

Full Backup in Backup Chain

Post by Tobias K. »

Hello,

we have a problem regarding full backup configuration. When full backups are scheduled, only incremental backups are done because preceding backups take until the next day.

Example:
- Backup A and does incremental Backups Mo-Fr. at 6 pm
- Backup B is scheduled to start after Backup A
- Backup A and Backup B are scheduled to run Full Backups on Saturday
- Backup A does a full backup on saturday and finishes on Sunday at 1am
- Backup B does an incremental backup because Backup A took too long and didn't finish on saturday

In my view Backup B should create a full backup since it is in a backup chain after Backup A.

Is there any way to make Backup B do the full backup even though it starts on sunday?
I know there are a lot of workarounds like doing full backups on sundays for Backup B or starting the backup sooner. Latter would impact the incremental backup schedule which is not ideal and former would make Backup B strong dependent on the duration of Backup A which is not ideal as well...

Best regards
Tobias
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Full Backup in Backup Chain

Post by ejenner »

I'd say no.

The conflict you've created is between the time taken for backup A and linking the schedule for job B to the completion of job A. If you don't resolve that conflict you'll never be able to do what you're trying to do.

The reason it is happening is that Job B has already passed the Saturday schedule when the full backup would usually happen. So Veeam isn't malfunctioning, it's doing exactly what it is configured to do. When Job B starts it is only configured to perform an incremental backup, so that's all it does.

And you're right, there are tons of ways of avoiding this problem.
Tobias K.
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Full Backup in Backup Chain

Post by Tobias K. »

Yes, I understand why the problem occurs. I just wish there was an option to use the start-time of the first object in the chain for the following objects.