Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
StephanF
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

Granular Recovery (SQL log backup and recovery)

Post by StephanF »

Hi,

I am just playing around with the Windows Agent Server Edition. I managed to setup a periodic SQL log backup job and this seems to be working fine. Data is storedon a B&R Repository v. 9.5 latets update.

What I don't get is how to restore the log backups. On the Agent side I can just do a granular file recovery. I read I have to use the SQL Explorer on the server but I find no way to load the Agent backup there. Can somebody please give me a hint how this should work?

Thanks
Stephan
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Granular Recovery (SQL log backup and recovery)

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Stephan,

Application item recovery should be performed via Backup and Replication console. Take a look at this Help Center article for more details and let us know if you need any further assistance.

P.S. On the agent side application aware processing should be enabled.
StephanF
Enthusiast

Post by StephanF »

Hi Dima,

application aware processing is enabled on the agent side and SQL log backups are successfully running.

But how do I open the Veeam SQL Explorer on the server with the agent backups? I tried these ways in B&R console:
1. Restore --> Agents --> No menu point for restoring Application Items there
2. Restore --> Hyper-V --> Application Items --> Microsoft SQL Server --> No Agents shown in VM selection list, just SQL Server VMs
3. Open Veeam SQL Explorer manually --> No way to open the Agent backup files

So please guide me how to get to a result. Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

When you go to Backup & Replication node > Backups do you see the agent backup file and transaction log backup?
StephanF
Enthusiast

Post by StephanF »

Yes I can see two entrys there for the Client:
Client - 5 restore points - Windows Agent
Client SQL server transaction log backup - 24 restore points - SQL Server

And there I have a button for restoring application items which brings me to the right point. Got it. :roll:

I am sorry but this is not really intuitive. IMHO this should be added to "Home --> Restore --> Agents" menu as well. Maybe you can tae this as a feature request. :)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

StephanF,

There are several ways to start application item recovery and I wonder why the regular approach is not working.

Edit: Now I get it. To start the application item recovery from an agent backup file you actually have two option. One is to right click the backup file. Another is to run a file level recovery from an agent backup (using FLR option from agent drop down on the Ribbon), and then initiate and application item recovery.
StephanF
Enthusiast

Post by StephanF »

As I said before, it's not easy to find if you don't know where to search. Thanks for guiding me to the right point.

Maybe there is a chance for a small UI redesign on this particular point in the future. Same functionality for virtual and physical machines should be reached the same way (through the same menus and dialogs) IMHO.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

StephanF,

Thanks for the heads up! To be honest, we plan to slightly change the recovery dashboard in one of the upcoming update, specifically because of this problem. Thanks again!