How to configure hourly backups?

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: How to configure hourly backups?

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks, Mike! For a more detailed comparison (free vs. paid edition), please wait for the official announcement on our website.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1092 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby yasuda » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:57 pm

Mike Resseler wrote:Jan,

Server edition is FREE + Workstation + Guest file indexing and search, transaction log processing and application-aware processing

Hope it helps

Mike

Mike, I thought the current VEB did transaction log processing and application aware processing? Am I misunderstanding the terms?

I reviewed the Application-Aware Image Processing FAQ, but it is still not clear to me. Actually, the FAQ says log pruning is part of Application Aware Processing.

We run VEB on some domain controllers, and it does prevent the Windows event log warnings about AD not being backed up. Also, there's a physical Exchange 2010 server (where VEB is being used as an interim until migration to virtualized Exchange 2016 and B&R 9 has been completed) and the Exchange transaction logs are cleared by the VEB backup.
yasuda
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi Peter,

My apologies, I should have stated it more clear... AAP in server edition is the same application awareness as in Backup & Replication which is more advanced. You are right that in the free edition pruning of the logs is done after a successful backup. But as stated, our AAP is more advanced.

Thanks

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 359 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Peter,

Basically, in current version you can install VEB on a Windows Server. VEB detects that it’s a server OS and start to truncate logs by default but it does not collect the metadata regarding the installed applications. Said behavior remains for VAW 2.0 Free version

VAW 2.0 Server mode will provide the full control of the process and add additional logic for backing up your applications. Why this important? Applications like SQL, Oracle or SharePoint may require impersonation with admin creds to carefully handle the backup process (frankly speaking, backup may fail if you do not use correct set of creds for the application). Finally, with VAW running in server mode VBR’s Application Item Restore functionality will work because VAW collects all the required metadata.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 432 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby yasuda » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:30 pm

Mike and Dima,

Thank you for explaining.

Request: After VAW goes GA, make a product comparison available somewhere that is more technical than the usual feature list.
yasuda
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. We will have a regular what’s new doc with all the features listed for sure, public edition comparison is planned as well.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby adapterer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:28 am

Testing VAW 2.0 beta now and there still doesnt seem to be a way to do hourly/ more frequent backups, can you confirm this is still going to be a feature in GA?

EDIT: NVM, I installed on a server and I can see the settings - would be nice to have the scheduling options for a server too though?
adapterer
Service Provider

Liked: 24 times

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:35 am

Hi Adapterer,

I'm afraid you lost me here. You installed VAW on a server and you can seen the settings? You mean the scheduling options? So you can see that hourly is possible. This is specifically for the server version?

Let me know
Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby adapterer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:38 am

Sorry - to be more specific, if I install VAW on a workstation (Windows 10 in this case), the more advanced scheduling options weren't available. If I install on Server 2012 - they are there (along with guest processing etc).

I think having the advanced scheduling options on a workstation would be a good feature, daily isnt good enough for some :)
adapterer
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:45 am

Got it, that makes more sense :-)

I doubt that more advanced scheduling will come to the workstation, but as already stated here, you can simply create a .bat file (or similar) and schedule it with task scheduler

This should be used (you can test first manually from the command line):

Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe" /backup
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby adapterer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:52 am

Whilst that's an OK workaround, advanced scheduling really needs to be there for people like creative professionals who have fast DAS for media creation.

A media shop near me use ShadowProtect for this exact purpose - think workstations with Xeon's, big professional GPU's and big flash storage - once a day wouldnt cut it.

That's my 0.02 anyway...
adapterer
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:57 am

Interesting case. Thanks for pointing out. I'll leave it to DimaP now to think about this ;-)
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby adapterer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:00 am

I can understand why you may not want to enable this for 'endpoint', as many users machines may not be fast enough to support this, more support tickets etc etc.

But this is 'workstation', and in any case, you have already written the feature so to me it doesnt make sense to 'gimp' the workstation version in this way.

Make that 0.04 :D
adapterer
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:52 am

Hi adapterer,

Why not to use VAW server edition if you want backups to be created more frequently (and suggested workaround does not work)?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby adapterer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:50 am

Hi Dima,

It's not practical to ask a user to change their operating system - the proper scheduling options dont seem to be available on a Desktop OS currently.
adapterer
Service Provider

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows