Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JChris
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Juan C.

How to configure hourly backups?

Post by JChris »

Currently I have the following schedule:

I thought that configuring this way VEB would backup hourly, but that isn't happening. How can I configure hourly backups?

PS: My backup target is a SOHO NAS on gigabit.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: How to configure hourly backups?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Juan,
Thanks for the request.
The "1 hour" setting is for the events not for the scheduler and prevents endpoint backup to create too often backups when you boot your computer or connect/disconnect your storage.

I´m not sure about this, but at least for the actual versions UserInterface there is no way to backup on hourly base.
There is an option to start a command that create a backup and if you place this command in a .bat file and use Windows Task Planer to start this hourly is maybe an acceptable workaround.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/1 ... p_cmd.html

This first version of endpoint backup was built with "easy of use" in mind, that even non IT people can use it. So the interface was reduced to the most needed features only to make it clear and clean.
I´m sure our Product Manager will give feedback later what we plan for the next version that can potentially address your needs.
JChris
Enthusiast

Post by JChris »

What a shame it isn't possible to do that using the GUI. I hope you guys release a newer version with this addressed as this is something very, very useful and a common need for IT and non-IT people. Anyway, thanks for the fast reply! :D
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

As I wrote the primary focus of this was to backup client OS and to keep the UI as simple as possible. I think it is by far not common that clients are backed up more frequently than daily. In many cases even less. Veeam will fore sure enhance the scheduler as we will release a Workstation and Server Version of the Veeam Endpoint Backup. Veeam will keep the free edition as 3rd version. The product will be renamed to "Veeam Agent for Windows (Free/Workstation/Server)".
burak40
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Burak Celik

Post by burak40 »

Hi Andreas,

When will Veeam release Workstation and Server version of the Veeam Endpoint Backup? You got any idea?

Thanks,

Burak
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Based on the forum digest from last Monday:
"Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0 (next version of rebranded Veeam Endpoint Backup) is at feature complete stage and we're planning to make the public beta available in the second half of November. And RTM/GA dates will largely depend on your feedback on the beta – and how many bugs you folks manage to find ;)"
JChris
Enthusiast

Post by JChris »

Good to know, will it be possible to upgrade from VEB 1.5.0.306 and keep configurations and DBs after you guys release the final version for Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0 Free?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

It is not communicated yet. If you look at other products and version (Endpoint 1 => 1.5) upgrades it is likely an inplace upgrade that keeps configuration.
We will see. For sure it will be documented in the release notes, where you can find an upgrade section.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Juan,

We normally will deliver upgrade (both manual in 1st phase) and then through the UI with automatic checking as we always have done before. It will be updating from the free version to the free version. How to update to paid versions is something which I am not yet certain off.

Thanks
Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Paid version will require a license key that will unlock all features that are available in the paid edition. And yes, upgrade will preserve your existing configuration.
Jan1
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by Jan1 »

Vitaliy,

Can you write us about differences (features) between free and paid version ?
I'm very curious :-)

Jan
rick196149
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard

Post by rick196149 »

JChris wrote:Currently I have the following schedule:

I thought that configuring this way VEB would backup hourly, but that isn't happening. How can I configure hourly backups?

PS: My backup target is a SOHO NAS on gigabit.
Did you get this answered JChris

I set my backups up to run at 8:00 pm the first ran for awhile then next day it only ran half the time cause it only does a incremental on files that are changed.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jan,

There are 3 editions in total. Free (which is current version + W2016 support, direct restore to Azure (but it requires veeam B&R9.5), Direct restore to Hyper-V (requires B&R9.5) and end to end encryption.

Workstation is FREE edition + integration with Veeam Cloud Connect, Backup Cache for Remote targets, configuration & management API and enterprise technical support

Server edition is FREE + Workstation + Guest file indexing and search, transaction log processing and application-aware processing

Hope it helps

Mike
aschalk
Enthusiast

Post by aschalk »

Does the Server Editon come with more options in scheduling?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Yes, server edition will have the same scheduling options as Veeam Backup & Replication has today for Virtual Machines
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks, Mike! For a more detailed comparison (free vs. paid edition), please wait for the official announcement on our website.
yasuda
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Post by yasuda »

Mike Resseler wrote:Jan,

Server edition is FREE + Workstation + Guest file indexing and search, transaction log processing and application-aware processing

Hope it helps

Mike
Mike, I thought the current VEB did transaction log processing and application aware processing? Am I misunderstanding the terms?

I reviewed the Application-Aware Image Processing FAQ, but it is still not clear to me. Actually, the FAQ says log pruning is part of Application Aware Processing.

We run VEB on some domain controllers, and it does prevent the Windows event log warnings about AD not being backed up. Also, there's a physical Exchange 2010 server (where VEB is being used as an interim until migration to virtualized Exchange 2016 and B&R 9 has been completed) and the Exchange transaction logs are cleared by the VEB backup.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Peter,

My apologies, I should have stated it more clear... AAP in server edition is the same application awareness as in Backup & Replication which is more advanced. You are right that in the free edition pruning of the logs is done after a successful backup. But as stated, our AAP is more advanced.

Thanks

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Peter,

Basically, in current version you can install VEB on a Windows Server. VEB detects that it’s a server OS and start to truncate logs by default but it does not collect the metadata regarding the installed applications. Said behavior remains for VAW 2.0 Free version

VAW 2.0 Server mode will provide the full control of the process and add additional logic for backing up your applications. Why this important? Applications like SQL, Oracle or SharePoint may require impersonation with admin creds to carefully handle the backup process (frankly speaking, backup may fail if you do not use correct set of creds for the application). Finally, with VAW running in server mode VBR’s Application Item Restore functionality will work because VAW collects all the required metadata.
yasuda
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Post by yasuda »

Mike and Dima,

Thank you for explaining.

Request: After VAW goes GA, make a product comparison available somewhere that is more technical than the usual feature list.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. We will have a regular what’s new doc with all the features listed for sure, public edition comparison is planned as well.
adapterer
Expert
Liked: 46 times

Post by adapterer »

Testing VAW 2.0 beta now and there still doesnt seem to be a way to do hourly/ more frequent backups, can you confirm this is still going to be a feature in GA?

EDIT: NVM, I installed on a server and I can see the settings - would be nice to have the scheduling options for a server too though?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Adapterer,

I'm afraid you lost me here. You installed VAW on a server and you can seen the settings? You mean the scheduling options? So you can see that hourly is possible. This is specifically for the server version?

Let me know
Thanks
Mike
adapterer
Expert

Post by adapterer »

Sorry - to be more specific, if I install VAW on a workstation (Windows 10 in this case), the more advanced scheduling options weren't available. If I install on Server 2012 - they are there (along with guest processing etc).

I think having the advanced scheduling options on a workstation would be a good feature, daily isnt good enough for some :)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Got it, that makes more sense :-)

I doubt that more advanced scheduling will come to the workstation, but as already stated here, you can simply create a .bat file (or similar) and schedule it with task scheduler

This should be used (you can test first manually from the command line):

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe" /backup
adapterer
Expert

Post by adapterer »

Whilst that's an OK workaround, advanced scheduling really needs to be there for people like creative professionals who have fast DAS for media creation.

A media shop near me use ShadowProtect for this exact purpose - think workstations with Xeon's, big professional GPU's and big flash storage - once a day wouldnt cut it.

That's my 0.02 anyway...
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Interesting case. Thanks for pointing out. I'll leave it to DimaP now to think about this ;-)
adapterer
Expert

Post by adapterer »

I can understand why you may not want to enable this for 'endpoint', as many users machines may not be fast enough to support this, more support tickets etc etc.

But this is 'workstation', and in any case, you have already written the feature so to me it doesnt make sense to 'gimp' the workstation version in this way.

Make that 0.04 :D
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi adapterer,

Why not to use VAW server edition if you want backups to be created more frequently (and suggested workaround does not work)?
adapterer
Expert

Post by adapterer »

Hi Dima,

It's not practical to ask a user to change their operating system - the proper scheduling options dont seem to be available on a Desktop OS currently.