How to configure hourly backups?

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

How to configure hourly backups?

Veeam Logoby JChris » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:39 pm

Currently I have the following schedule:

I thought that configuring this way VEB would backup hourly, but that isn't happening. How can I configure hourly backups?

PS: My backup target is a SOHO NAS on gigabit.
JChris
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Juan C.

Re: How to configure hourly backups?

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:38 pm

Juan,
Thanks for the request.
The "1 hour" setting is for the events not for the scheduler and prevents endpoint backup to create too often backups when you boot your computer or connect/disconnect your storage.

I´m not sure about this, but at least for the actual versions UserInterface there is no way to backup on hourly base.
There is an option to start a command that create a backup and if you place this command in a .bat file and use Windows Task Planer to start this hourly is maybe an acceptable workaround.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/1 ... p_cmd.html

This first version of endpoint backup was built with "easy of use" in mind, that even non IT people can use it. So the interface was reduced to the most needed features only to make it clear and clean.
I´m sure our Product Manager will give feedback later what we plan for the next version that can potentially address your needs.
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 336 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Veeam Logoby JChris » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:34 am

What a shame it isn't possible to do that using the GUI. I hope you guys release a newer version with this addressed as this is something very, very useful and a common need for IT and non-IT people. Anyway, thanks for the fast reply! :D
JChris
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:53 am

As I wrote the primary focus of this was to backup client OS and to keep the UI as simple as possible. I think it is by far not common that clients are backed up more frequently than daily. In many cases even less. Veeam will fore sure enhance the scheduler as we will release a Workstation and Server Version of the Veeam Endpoint Backup. Veeam will keep the free edition as 3rd version. The product will be renamed to "Veeam Agent for Windows (Free/Workstation/Server)".
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby burak40 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Andreas,

When will Veeam release Workstation and Server version of the Veeam Endpoint Backup? You got any idea?

Thanks,

Burak
burak40
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Burak Celik

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:36 pm

Based on the forum digest from last Monday:
"Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0 (next version of rebranded Veeam Endpoint Backup) is at feature complete stage and we're planning to make the public beta available in the second half of November. And RTM/GA dates will largely depend on your feedback on the beta – and how many bugs you folks manage to find ;)"
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JChris » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:19 pm

Good to know, will it be possible to upgrade from VEB 1.5.0.306 and keep configurations and DBs after you guys release the final version for Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0 Free?
JChris
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:10 pm

It is not communicated yet. If you look at other products and version (Endpoint 1 => 1.5) upgrades it is likely an inplace upgrade that keeps configuration.
We will see. For sure it will be documented in the release notes, where you can find an upgrade section.
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:34 am

Juan,

We normally will deliver upgrade (both manual in 1st phase) and then through the UI with automatic checking as we always have done before. It will be updating from the free version to the free version. How to update to paid versions is something which I am not yet certain off.

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 339 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:20 am

Paid version will require a license key that will unlock all features that are available in the paid edition. And yes, upgrade will preserve your existing configuration.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1070 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Jan1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:04 pm

Vitaliy,

Can you write us about differences (features) between free and paid version ?
I'm very curious :-)

Jan
Jan1
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby rick196149 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:11 pm

JChris wrote:Currently I have the following schedule:

I thought that configuring this way VEB would backup hourly, but that isn't happening. How can I configure hourly backups?

PS: My backup target is a SOHO NAS on gigabit.

Did you get this answered JChris

I set my backups up to run at 8:00 pm the first ran for awhile then next day it only ran half the time cause it only does a incremental on files that are changed.
rick196149
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Richard

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:42 pm

Jan,

There are 3 editions in total. Free (which is current version + W2016 support, direct restore to Azure (but it requires veeam B&R9.5), Direct restore to Hyper-V (requires B&R9.5) and end to end encryption.

Workstation is FREE edition + integration with Veeam Cloud Connect, Backup Cache for Remote targets, configuration & management API and enterprise technical support

Server edition is FREE + Workstation + Guest file indexing and search, transaction log processing and application-aware processing

Hope it helps

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby aschalk » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:35 am

Does the Server Editon come with more options in scheduling?
aschalk
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:45 am 1 person likes this post

Yes, server edition will have the same scheduling options as Veeam Backup & Replication has today for Virtual Machines
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows