Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Replicator
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Hyper-V VM backups

Post by Replicator »

I have a lab machine that is running Windows 10 configured as Hyper-V host running some virtual machines. I need to backup these virtual machines. I'm thinking to install VEB for this Hyper-V host and use it to backup virtual machines. Is there some limitations or something that I should be aware of if running VM backups this way? What happens if some VMs are running when VEB is running the backup job?

Also another question.

Is there coming possibility to run backups directly from boot media?

Anyway. Thanks to Veaam for this awesome product. It's hard to believe that it's even free. I would buy it.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Hyper-V VM backups

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Replicator,

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Keep in mind that VEB is designed to work on the guest level of the operating system, so its recommended to install it inside the VM. If you want to create an backup outside the OS on a hypervisor level – the best approach would be to use our flagship product - Veeam Backup and Replication (it fully supports Hyper V and you can try the free edition first)
Is there coming possibility to run backups directly from boot media?
We got this feature request on our radar. Thanks.
ds2
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Rene Keller

Post by ds2 »

Hi Dima,

I think VB&R don't support W10 as hostsystem. Correct me if i am wrong ;-)

Greetings ds2
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I do not think there will be an issue running VEB on the W10 system because it does not care what application is running on it. It would still back it up, now to be honest I have not tried using a Windows 10 box as a host system and am not sure how it would handle the running disk files. I ran VEB on the server hosts in a Hyper-V environment with shared cluster storage and that worked without issue.
VMCE v9
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ds2 wrote:I think VB&R don't support W10 as hostsystem. Correct me if i am wrong ;-)
Yes, you're correct. Only server based Hyper-V is supported in Veeam B&R.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Sorry guys, I read that wrong and assumed VEB support not VBR!
VMCE v9
Replicator
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by Replicator » 1 person likes this post

I installed VEB to this Windows 10 1607 Hyper-V host and run a backup from the volume that holds all the VMS's. VM's where all in saved state or turned off. Works without any problems and the backup job completed quickly (it's fast!). There where about 300 GB of VM files and the backup file is only about 130 GB in size :o I did run a second backup that holds about 15 GB new data from the time when previous backup was run and it finished in minutes.

I'm just installing Windows Server 2012 R2 to my HP MicroServer and I will use it to hold my backup data. Let's see what the Server 2012 R2 dedup will do for Veeam Backup files :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since you're planning to use Windows Server 2012 R2 and its deduplication functionality, please take a look at this existing topic > Best Practice for MS Server 2012 DeDup Repo (pretty long, but still an interesting read).