Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
KurtL
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Immutable backup in Azure Object storage

Post by KurtL »

Hi all,

With the new Veeam agent for Windows, I have configured my server to backup directly to Object storage, Microsoft Azure Blob Storage.
The storage account in Azure is configured as described in https://www.veeam.com/kb4416
On the backup job from the Veeam agent, i have configured the normal retention policy for 7 days, and also I enabled the option to make recent backups immutable for 30 days.
The backup run fine, I can do file and volume restore as expected.

The only thing I don't know, is how to make sure or how to see that my backups are protected with the immutable option?
So just to be sure my backups are really immutable.
What happens after the normal retention of 7 days is passed, will I be able to restore data from later that is protected by the immutable retention of 30 days?

I know when you use a Veeam B&R server with immutable repository, it tells you, you cannot delete the backups, as they're protected with the ummitability option.
I cannot seem to find this with the agent.

Thx,
Kurt.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Immutable backup in Azure Object storage

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
to make sure or how to see that my backups are protected with the immutable option?
if you don't trust our software, then you can check immutability times directly on the objects in Azure.
will I be able to restore data from later that is protected by the immutable retention of 30 days?
no. You will only get warnings that objects could not be deleted. If you want to restore 30 days, then configure the retention for 30 days.
I cannot seem to find this with the agent.
it's also in the "bucket" option

Best regards,
Hannes