Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Joachim

Incremental backup size

Post by Morgenstern72 »

Veeam Agent for Windows free 5.0.1.54
Backup mode: file level backup (including: Operating System, Personal Files, 4 SSD/HDD selected folders. Exclude: *.tmp, *.bak)
Daily incremental, Full every 6 months
Retention 730 days
Backup sources: SSD and HDD
Backup target; USB HDD

The daily backup size varies between 2 and 120 GB.
I need to find out what causes the massive changes. For instance, 4 days ago on Monday 10th July 2023 I had a 64GB incremental, before and after 10GB incremental. Windows updates arrive here on Wednesday due to time zone differences.
Im not aware of these file changes in just one day like on Monday. How can I figure out which files were backed up on these days? Also the 10GB seem to be much for only tunring on the PC in the evening, surf and play a game and shut it down. Maybe I need to set more exclusions, but for that I need to know what to exclude.

Thank you for your help :)
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast

Re: Incremental backup size

Post by Morgenstern72 »

New: Veeam Agent for Windows 6.0.2.1090 Free Edition
I asked this about 4 years already, so I hope there is now a log or similar: veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/how-to-see- ... ml#p321166
Nils
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Nils Petersen

Post by Nils »

Have you made sure that there's no defragmentation running? Defragmenting a volume may cause a large amount of data to be rewritten, severely increasing the incremental backup size. You should schedule defragmentation before a full backup runs.
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast

Post by Morgenstern72 »

I'm doing File Level Backup, so defragmentation should not be a problem. At least i guess that's only an issue with block based backup?

Also most Disks are SSD and the operating system is on a M.2, so there should not be any defrag issues.

But since the backup knows which files are in which incremental file, it should be easy to find out what was backed up on a certain day?