Info about password

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Info about password

Veeam Logoby cata81 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi Veeam,

Like many people I use Veaam Endpoint Backup to protect my computer by Ransomwares, I use a NAS to store the backups and I've create on it a backup user with a strong password and I use this user with VEB (of course I don't map the share on computer).

My concern is about how VEB store the id and password I use to connect to the NAS, because I guess one of the next steps of this ransomwares is to try to catch the passwords of backup softwares and encrypt also the backups.

I know you cannot give us any guarantee, but if you can say something about the password storage would make us more aware of the risks we take.

Thanks,
Cristian
cata81
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Cristian

Re: Info about password

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:48 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Credentials specified in jobs settings are stored in the VEB’s database. I doubt that malware can connect to the DB, ‘brootforce’ the internal randomly generated password VEB service uses for connection to the database – so you can sleep safe. I’d rather make sure that local account your users are using does not have access to the said file share.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby lxk3il » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:59 am

Good to know, thanks for clarification Dima!
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Lukas

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:58 pm

You are welcome. If any questions arise – do not hesitate asking.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby cata81 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:56 am

Dima P. wrote:Hi,

Credentials specified in jobs settings are stored in the VEB’s database. I doubt that malware can connect to the DB, ‘brootforce’ the internal randomly generated password VEB service uses for connection to the database – so you can sleep safe. I’d rather make sure that local account your users are using does not have access to the said file share.

Thanks for your answer it makes me more comfortable :)
cata81
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Cristian

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows