Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Firewalker96
Lurker
Liked: never

Installing Veeam when another backup software is installed

Post by Firewalker96 »

We moved from Acronis Backup 12.5 to Veeam for client computers. Can we install Veeam and do backups while Acronis is installed on the client (Windows 7 and Windows 10)? Or do we need to uninstall Acronis first. Its easy to create a Protection Group in Veeam to select computers and install the client, but because Acronis is already installed, if we have to uninstall Acronis first, that slows down the implementation of Veeam. If we can do the uninstall of Acronis after Veeam is installed and doing backups, then we can have time to uninstall Acronis as we go. Our Acronis server crashed, so I can't uninstall from the console.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Installing Veeam when another backup software is installed

Post by Gostev »

We don't test compatibility with any particular 3rd party backup solutions. You can try to keep it, however our general recommendation is to uninstall them. This is because we had plenty of support cases where 3rd party backup product components were causing OS issues which in turn impacted Veeam. For example, one issue that has been commonly reported is Microsoft VSS malfunction due to the presence of "Symantec Software VSS Provider". Thanks!
EdgarRicharte
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Re: Installing Veeam when another backup software is installed

Post by EdgarRicharte » 1 person likes this post

I've been doing the same thing. Migrating from Acronis to Veeam. I've been able to have them installed side by side. But I did have some issues with guest processing (VSS issues as Gostev said) where uninstalling acronis fixed it after.