Is 2.0 out of beta

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Is 2.0 out of beta

Veeam Logoby chris.childerhose » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:45 pm

I can live with that. Was the BETA version developed to work then with Update 1? Just curious why the Beta would and GA not.

Cannot wait for this to be GA. 8)
Chris Childerhose, VCAP-DCA, VMCE9, VCP, MCITP
chris.childerhose
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Veeam Logoby RubinCompServ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 pm

Windows agent is actually a bit more "ready", however it is dependent on the Update 2 because of the integration with Veeam backup repositories (and now also cloud repositories)

Does this mean that the VAW will talk to Cloud Connect repositories linked to Veeam instead of forcing individual configuration on each agent?
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:07 pm

You will be able to send backups directly to Cloud Connect but the configuration is per agent (but can be done via API).
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Architect (VMCA)
http://foonet.be
vmniels
Veeam Software

Liked: 348 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Veeam Logoby RubinCompServ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:18 pm

vmniels wrote:You will be able to send backups directly to Cloud Connect but the configuration is per agent (but can be done via API).

I truly don't understand why Veeam seems to be resisting the concept of central management for these "agents" (VAW isn't actually an agent, it's a free-standing backup product). When VAW was first announced, it was also implied that it would be managed by via the Veeam console. After playing with the beta, it is clear that this still has no centralized management, meaning that a company with 20 physical servers will need to connect to each of the 20 servers to connect to a repository, schedule backups, and check status. In what way does Veeam think that this is a good thing?
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:44 pm 1 person likes this post

We don't resist it. Veeam Availability Console (available later as well) will provide you with the central management you are looking for. Have a look at this info page and there is an API so if wanted you can create your own solution as well.
VCP-DCV
vmniels
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby RubinCompServ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:42 pm

vmniels wrote:We don't resist it. Veeam Availability Console (available later as well) will provide you with the central management you are looking for. Have a look at this info page and there is an API so if wanted you can create your own solution as well.

I've watched it multiple times. To be honest, it seems to be a video for semi-vaporware - considering that there doesn't even seem to be a beta for it yet, I'm a little skeptical of the H1 launch date that's been bandied about in the forums. Also, perhaps it's just me, but I would expect "centralized management" to be centralized - having to jump to multiple apps/sites to check simply doesn't seem "centralized" (although 2 apps (Veeam B&R Console and Veeam Availability Console) are still better than checking each server).
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:08 pm

The reason why this is a standalone solution is because of the fact that not everyone has Veeam Backup & Replication (yet ;-)). If they (for example) run all their VM's in the cloud (like Azure or Amazon) then there is no need for Veeam Backup & Replication and thus they use the agent for Windows/Linux in combination with the console.

Those who have VBR will have the console running next to it but do keep in mind there are other features then just central management which are better in a standalone solution.

In regards to the release date, it is still planned for H1 but everything is subject to change. Veeam always delivers high quality GA versions compared to releasing a "buggy" version compared to other vendors out there ;-).
VCP-DCV
vmniels
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby RubinCompServ » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:09 pm

vmniels wrote:Veeam always delivers high quality GA versions compared to releasing a "buggy" version compared to other vendors out there ;-).

Leaving aside the fact that I've hit more issues with 9.5u1 than with any other single release since 8.0, it would be nice to have a beta of the VAC for planning and testing. All we know about it right now is from a (very dry) video from 6 months ago. The fact that we don't even have a beta yet makes me highly doubtful that we're going to hit a H1 release date.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby sirjeje » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Hello,

We are currently waiting for the release of the GA as we already have some servers backuped by the Agent.
My question is : what will be the process to renew a trial licence for Beta?
Is that possible to already buy some licence for Veeam Agent Server (x10? x20?) ?

Thanks!
sirjeje
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Please contact your local sales in terms of buying the licenses for VAW (server edition).
VCP-DCV
vmniels
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi,
what will be the process to renew a trial licence for Beta?

There will be no renew process for the license included in the Beta package. Frankly speaking, you just need to replace it with fully functional license.
Is that possible to already buy some licence for Veeam Agent Server (x10? x20?) ?

Sure. As Niels suggested – get it touch with your local sales team.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 452 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby vClintWyckoff » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:00 am

RubinCompServ wrote:Leaving aside the fact that I've hit more issues with 9.5u1 than with any other single release since 8.0, it would be nice to have a beta of the VAC for planning and testing. All we know about it right now is from a (very dry) video from 6 months ago. The fact that we don't even have a beta yet makes me highly doubtful that we're going to hit a H1 release date.

Sorry for being late to the conversation but there are new demo videos of Veeam Availability Console that are available. I presented the Windows Agent and the Console at Tech Field Day 13 back in February. Take a watch through.

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows and Veeam Availability Console Demo
vClintWyckoff
Veeam Software

Liked: 95 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Veeam Logoby levyston » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:24 pm

I'was trying to get the VAM in the plubic beta link... but it doesn't work... I put my e-mail but was stoped in this page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149461377 ... datetaken/
levyston
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: LALLO LEVYSTON ANTONIO ALVES DA COSTA

Veeam Logoby vClintWyckoff » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:44 pm

We'll look into this.
vClintWyckoff
Veeam Software

Liked: 95 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Veeam Logoby -pekr- » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi,

I am testing Veeam Agent for Windows and wonder, how do I grant free license? It says, mine expires on 1.5.2017 and is preset to Workstation. When I switch to the Free radio button, it changes nothing. When I click Install button, it asks for a file. So - will it expire? Or where can I get a free license?

Thanks,
Petr
-pekr-
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Petr Krenzelok

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows