Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Canuck
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Canuck

ISOs Created for Clients - Issues Creating Disk Later

Post by Canuck » 1 person likes this post

Veeam Forum,

I've tried to create a ticket multiple times, but it keeps giving me an error. Please advise.

For starters, I'd like to commend the engineers who have developed the Free Endpoint Backup software. Just this past week I was able to restore a client's "C:\" partition on a Microsoft Surface that was RMA'd, and a blank Surface came back as a replacement. Via the "Custom" restore option (the full restore wouldn't work) I was able to restore all their files/OS, and after a startup repair, they were off-to-the-races! Amazing work!

The Issue:

1. On all of my residential client's I've setup a nightly backup via Veeam Endpoint Backup to a USB or a NAS drive.
2. On all of these client's I've simply saved the .ISO image to the same backup location, so if needed, I could create the Recovery Media when required
3. On some of my recent test restores, I've burned the .ISO to CD and to USB (via Rufus) and the .ISO images aren't usable (or have .NET errors)

Obviously, we need to be testing the backups, and the restores, and thus my questions:

A. Has anyone else had issues creating working CD or USB that was originally saved as an ISO?
B. Is there any way to test the .ISO without actually creating the CD / USB, to know if it will load without errors?

Thanks for the great product, but with multiple failed .ISO images that don't boot correctly, I would love some assistance.

Canuck
chaycock
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Carlton Haycock

Re: ISOs Created for Clients - Issues Creating Disk Later

Post by chaycock »

>A. Has anyone else had issues creating working CD or USB that was originally saved as an ISO?

I saved all of mine as ISOs and then burned a CD using XP Burner. It booted and ran with no problems.

>B. Is there any way to test the .ISO without actually creating the CD / USB, to know if it will load without errors?

You can try booting it in a virtual machine. Most VM software will let you mount an ISO and have the VM see it as an actual CD/DVD.
Canuck
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Carlton,

Thanks for the reply. I've burned the .ISO file only when required via CBBurnerXP as well, or via the Microsoft Image Burning "right-click" option, but even though Veeam stated the ISO creation was successful, .NET was an issue on the PE disk.

You're correct, attaching to a hypervisor would work, I just wish there were a few more checksums/verifications in the Recovery Media Creation Wizard to avoid this aspect.

Canuck
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Canuck,

Thank you for the feedback - our team will be happy to hear it! Regarding the issue, I do remember that other folks used Rufus and reported that burned .iso was running correctly. Any background on the operating system? Can you share the error message you got while booting from such recovery media?