Issue backing up to Synology

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Issue backing up to Synology

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi lammypie,
We finished the case investigation and here is what happens according to the logs:

1.PC is booted from sleep
2.Retry starts
3.The network adapter is still down (possibly some delay after waking up the machine)
4.Job fails and set itself for a next retry
5.Repeat from 1

The solution might be to increase the wake up timers to more than 10 minutes (same as you posted before) – it should be enough for an OS to bring a network adapter up during two retry cycles. In addition you might what to investigate why the network adapter is being so irresponsive but that’s might be a hardware issue. Thanks for reporting this interesting issue we had a great time drilling the logs :mrgreen:
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby lammypie » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi Dima,

Thank you for the explanation. I agree with you that there seems to be some delay with some aspect of the machine following the wake up from sleep which is causing the job to fail. As I am experiencing this issue on multiple different hardware PCs all running Windows 7, I am at a loss as to what is causing the issue. Even switching off the power saving element of the network card hasn't fixed. So using the work around is all I have at present and although not ideal, it is a usable option.

That being said, I have been searching the web and found a similar topic which describes the exact same situation but with a different product storagecraft.com/support/forum/best-way-wake-computer-sleeping-run-backup#comment-34489. In this topic, garryggreen explains that the problem is as a result of the application not keeping windows awake once it has been woken up. Could this be the same here?
lammypie
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:42 pm

We can’t keep the application awake once the retry failed but during the backup process we do :wink: I believe, adjusting the power plan’s 'sleep after' and 'hibernate after' timers to longer than 10 minutes might be a better idea than fighting with hardware drivers.

P.S. I am sorry - I have to remove the link since it is pointed to the competitive website.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby lammypie » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks and apologies for the link.

If I could make a comment though, it would seem that the application only checks the once before the PC goes back to sleep. Wouldn't it be prudent to keep the PC awake to allow the retry for the 2nd and 3rd times prior to giving up? Just a thought and not a necessity as there are workarounds :)

Thanks
lammypie
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:28 pm

Wouldn't it be prudent to keep the PC awake to allow the retry for the 2nd and 3rd times prior to giving up?

It’s possible only while the app is doing something – otherwise OS will fall to sleep anyway. By the way don’t forget about the tablets and laptop users: any 'dirty hack' with the sleep timers might drain the battery really quick.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows