Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
weller003
Lurker
Liked: never

Issue creating recovery media via the B&R console

Post by weller003 »

HI ,

Im running version 9.5 update 3.

Ive added a physical server to a protection group and am trying to run the recovery media wizard and its coming up with 'cannot find backup file for <Servername>'.

No Backups have been run on this machine yet, Im not sure what backup file it is referencing, what should I do here to be able to create the media?

thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Issue creating recovery media via the B&R console

Post by Dima P. »

Hello weller003 ,

Full backup is required to create Recovery Media when agent is managed by Veeam B&R console, so you must run backup job at least once. Thanks!
weller003
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by weller003 »

Doh!, ok thanks! :)
Rinatt
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rinat Sharifov

Post by Rinatt »

Hi, same issue. i have full backup and 10 incremental backups on the NAS, when i am trying to create recovery media via the B&R console there is error: cannot find backup file for <XXXhost>. What should I do?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Rinat,

Just a guess: is there a chance that the hostname of this machine has been changed?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Rinat,
10 incremental backups on the NAS
To clarify, this NAS is added to Veeam B&R as Veeam repository (or you used path to the shared folder in the agent job properties without adding NAS to Veeam B&R)? Thanks!
Rinatt
Novice

Post by Rinatt »

Yes Dima , this NAS is added to Veeam B&R as Veeam repository. I checked - it does not issue this error when backup is on the local host -Default backup Repository (created by veeam backup). Briefly, when backup is on the local server (Veeam B&R server-default veeam repository) there is no problem to create recovery media, but when backup is on the NAS server i cannot create recovery media (cannot find backup file for Xhost)
Rinatt
Novice

Post by Rinatt »

Hi Wishr,

No, the hostname and ip has not changed.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Rinat,

I'd suggest you check the permissions on the NAS device and if no luck, raise a support case to perform a deeper troubleshooting.

Thanks
Rinatt
Novice

Post by Rinatt »

Hi Wishr, Dima
The problem is solved, thank you.
Now I have another problem. I want to make full backup (From veeam B&R server) on windows client computer and then to make incremental for 5 days, and then automatically delete the oldest incremental backup after the 6th day incremental. that is, i want 1 Full backup and last 5 incremental backups. Keep incremental backups for the last 5 days and then automatically delete oldest incremental. And one think - i don't want to use "Create active full backups periodically" function because I have 100 users and if I choose this option I will not have enough space in my NAS storage. Do I have any other choice? Thanks in advance!
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Rinat,

Could you please let the community know what was the root cause of the issue with recovery media and NAS?

Speaking about the retention settings, you may configure forever forward incremental backup with retention set to five days to achieve your goal. See here.

Thanks
Rinatt
Novice

Post by Rinatt »

Hi Wishr,
The problem was that I made a minor mechanical error, so I selected a shared folder in the job destination window and wrote a link to that backup repository. and I was confronted with the mistake I told you. whereas I have to choose veeam backup repository and choose repository I already added - NAS. Thank you very much for your respect for my questions.
Best Regards: Rinat Sharifov
Rinatt
Novice

Post by Rinatt »

Wishr, forward incremental backup functions is available on virtual machine backup (on advanched tab there is Reverse incremental and incremental- it is ok), i cannot find this function on user backup. There is only two choice: syntetic full backup and active backup
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi,

That's not true (please check the link provided above for details). The forward incremental method is the default one in both B&R and Agents, while the "forever" piece of the puzzle can be enforced using job settings:

1. Retention set to 5 days;
2. Both periodic Synthetic full and Active full backups disabled (if any/both of these are enabled you'll get the forward incremental method);
3. Job schedule is up to you, but I suppose it would be every day/every workday.

Cheers!
Rinatt
Novice

Post by Rinatt » 1 person likes this post

Ok, I'll check as you say. Thank you very much, Wishr.