Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
leo8888
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan

keyboard and mouse support

Post by leo8888 »

Does VEEAM support loading keyboard and mouse drivers on bare metal restores? I have been testing the agent for windows and the backups work perfectly but so far on two different computers I am not able to perform a bare metal restore when booting the recovery environment from a USB stick. I have created the recovery image from the same computers I am using to test the restores and I have tried both with and without including drivers from the system when creating the media. The recovery environment boots fine but during the boot process the light on the mouse goes out and will not come back on and neither mouse or keyboard function at the recovery screen. I have tried changing USB settings in the BIOS such as legacy mode and speed. Keyboard and mouse are both plugged directly into the rear USB ports on the motherboards.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: keyboard and mouse support

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Dan,

Yes it should work, unless you uncheck the option to collect drivers during recovery media creation (or used recovery media created on a different computer).
leo8888
Novice

Post by leo8888 »

Hello Dima,
Thanks for replying. That brings up a good point. If the PC I did the backup from had a major hardware failure how would I restore my backup to another PC? I have been evaluating VEEAM as a possible replacement for Acronis and the ability to restore to dissimilar hardware is critical.
Thanks,
Dan
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Dan,

Restore to dissimilar hardware is fully supported. However, it’s recommended to have a recovery media created from the original operating system in order to include the required device drivers in this media.
leo8888
Novice

Post by leo8888 »

Hi Dima,
I am confused by your answer. Obviously if I created the recovery media from the original operating system where I also created the backup it would contain the drivers for that system. If that systems hardware failed and I used the recovery media to restore the backup to a new system it would not have drivers for the new system.
This is the one area where it seems Acronis has an advantage. Their bootable recovery media has booted properly on just about every system I have tried it on. Veeam looks very promising but if I cannot restore a backup to a new system when the hardware fails the backup is worthless.
Tobaccouser
Lurker
Full Name: Christian Holzapfel

Post by Tobaccouser »

Well, no further answer in this case? I have the same issue, a solution to this problem is quite appreciated. Thank you.
Starting from USB, SD-Card Reader (build-in) or CD/DVD drive, all the same. After booting up, green screen with Recovery Media options appears and
at the same time keyboard and mouse hence USB ports all turning off (USB2 and USB3 alltogether).
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Tobaccouser,

Similar issue was resolved by updating the chipset drivers. Take a look a this thread for more details. Cheers!
spanjokus
Lurker
Full Name: Ivan Semin

Post by spanjokus »

I also encountered a similar problem, I also solved it by updating the chipset drivers