Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Takkobeef
Lurker
Liked: never

License for private person ?

Post by Takkobeef »

Hi,
Is it possible to get a permanent license for me as a private person to do two backup jobs for two computers at home ?
It's about Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows.
I can't afford a license that is meant for businesses :-/
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: License for private person ?

Post by wishr »

Hello and welcome to Veeam Community Forums!

You may use either Veeam Agent for Windows Free or Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition which both are free of charge and suitable for your need.

Thanks
annoyed
Lurker

Post by annoyed »

What if those aren't suitable for one's need?

I just discovered that the free edition of the Windows Client doesn't support multiple backup jobs.
Unfortunately this poses severe limitations since I want to backup all partitions (5 of them) that I have but I don't necessarily want a huge (>1 TB) monolithic backup file that I can't do maintenance tasks on (because then I'd need another >1TB of free space at my backup location - which I don't have/ don't want to provide just for maintenance).
Therefore I'd rather split the Job up into multiple tasks (each volume = 1 Job), so that the backup files are more manageable.

I know that Veeam originally came from backing up virtual environments and the bare metal backup client was added later on, so I do appreciate that the option exists at all (and that there's a free version for personal use) but then again I do not understand why it is limited in this way.

Best regards
annoyed - because I have to recreate my backup job and do a full monolithic backup... again :(
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Annoyed,

The idea behind the free Agent version is to offer basic endpoint backup functionality for personal use. What you are asking here is somewhat more complex so you may use Backup & Replication Community Edition (free) or purchase a Server Agent license if you require to process a single machine with several backup jobs.

Thanks
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

For personal, non-production use you can grab an NFR license which unlocks full server edition functions for your home lab.
It automatically starts download for the entire Veeam Availability Suite. You don't need it. License will arrive to your email address.
Hope that helps!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Additionally, you can search for a Veeam service provider to rent a paid Veeam Agent license key from him.
Takkobeef
Lurker

Post by Takkobeef »

Thanks for the answer!
Yes the problem is, that the windows free edition do not support multiple jobs.
Is the Backup & Replication Community Edition for free ?
A NFR license is licensed for a limited time only?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Backup & Replication Community Edition is free, limited to 10 instances.
NFR license is valid for a year, you can request a fresh one again using same link (unless they are discontinued for whatever reason).
Note that Community Edition is OK for production use and you will have a chance to get technical support, whereas NFR license is strictly for personal use.