Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Armin_M
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Armin Müller

license issues after bare metal recovery

Post by Armin_M »

Hello all,
how are things in the context of recovering a backup to new hardware? How do I adress the different Windows and Office Licenses? On a new computer there ist already windows installed, so which license will be used after I do a bare metal recovery? The original one from the computer where the backup is taken from, or will it find the hardware-hash of the new machine and use the license assinged to the new machine?
Office is, in terms of license-conditions, attached to the machine where it is installed. So do I need to buy a new key for office?

kind regards

Armin
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: license issues after bare metal recovery

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
please understand that we cannot give any legal advice on licensing.

There is office 365 licensing, OEM licensing etc.

What any backup vendor does for bare metal recovery is bringing back your data. Depending on how the vendor of the software (Microsoft in your case) "binds" a license, that might require re-registering the license to a new hardware.

I see no reason why you should need to buy a new office license (assuming you have a perpetual license). Windows can be re-activated if needed.

Best regards,
Hannes
Armin_M
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Armin Müller

Post by Armin_M »

Hello,
just wanted to know, how this is usually handeled. Maybe someone has some experience in such things. Never had that case before.
The old hardware will be used further, thats why I want to have things right. The Office License (perpetual) is already changed, the old license will stay on the old computer.
thanks for the answer.

Kind regards,
Armin
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Armin,

Depends on the software. Base on my personal experience: Windows will continue but after periodic license check may ask you to resolve issues with your license via Microsoft portal (remove old installation from the list), Office 365 products will require license validation (i.e. ask you to connect to the licensing server to validate the host), had no issues with Adobe products.