Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
MGT1981
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Licensing question

Post by MGT1981 »

Hello,

I have recently run into a one off situation where a client who uses Veeam for their production VMware environment has a need to stand up a physical Windows box to act as a VTL between their AS400 environment and their storage. We have a new requirement to back up this one box simply from a "because it would be a pain to reconfigure" standpoint. From what i can tell with the new licensing model i have to buy 10 instances if i want to have this backup managed by my Veeam B&R server ? Is this correct? I know i can switch to manually managed but it would be nice to have one less thing to have to log into and check.

I understand the idea behind moving to packs of 10 as a minimum but im just trying to see if there is any alternative
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Re: Licensing question

Post by Gostev »

Hello

If the client already uses Veeam for their production VMware environment with a socket-based license, then with Update 4 this license includes some gifted Instances which should cover backing up a few physical servers. See Licensing section of the What's New document for more details.

Now, if you want to have that in YOUR backup server instead of client's, this would be an MSP use case. In this case, you have to sign up with Veeam as an MSP and acquire a special type of license that allows processing of 3rd party data (Rental license).

Thanks!