Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Managed client - how to do on-demand backup

Post by Mgamerz »

I am doing some protection of our workstations at my office and I'm starting to do managed backups with workstation edition. I don't know if I'm dumb, or this is somehow not a feature, but I can't seem to figure out how to just "backup" a system. I can make a protection group, a job... but there's now way to just on-demand backup a system. Imagine if I am going to make a significant change and I want to have a very up to date backup, I can't seem to see a way to do that.

I can't open the VAW UI on the client because it is managed. I can't see any way to initiate a backup on the server UI.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Managed client - how to do on-demand backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
today with workstation edition you only have the schedule to start backups. The "on demand start" did not make it into update 4... but stay tuned for V10 and you will find a start / stop button for "managed by agent" jobs.

Best regards,
Hannes
Mgamerz
Expert

Post by Mgamerz »

I see. Hoping V10 comes out soon cause there are a lot of missing features in VAW + VBR that would be useful. I did not realize a managed backup couldn't open the local client UI, so all backups are completely blind in their progress. I have the option set to allow non-admins to restore files, but it seems without the local client being able to be opened, that doesn't actually let end-users restore their own files.
Mgamerz
Expert

Post by Mgamerz »

Hmm. It seems after a restart you can open the Veeam client UI on the windows workstation. Not sure why you can't before a restart. So I can make on-demand from client side at least.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

We add UI component to managed agent only after such agent is being assigned to managed by agent job. To instantly access the UI search Veeam Agent for Windows in the start menu (as tray app may be still hidden right after install).