Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Zek
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times

Missed synthetic full schedule problem

Post by Zek »

Hello,
If Veeam Agent misses backup task at scheduled day of the week for periodically synthetic full backup, it's not proceed this synthetic full backup restore point at next days tasks, until the chosen day of the week arrives again, what causes an unwanted increase in the number of restore points for single full backup chain and can cause significant increase in the number of restore points not deleted by short-term retention policy.
I think, missed synthetic full backups schedule should be able proceed ASAP with next backup session, same like Veeam Agent can resume missed daily backup after computer startup.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Missed synthetic full schedule problem

Post by Mildur »

Hello Zek

Thank you for the request.
How often do you see missed synthetic full backups? Do you face this situation for a VBR managed environment or for VSPC managed agents?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Zek
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times

Re: Missed synthetic full schedule problem

Post by Zek »

How often do you see missed synthetic full backups?
Synthetic full backup restore point missed when job was not running by any reason at selected day, for example PC was offline full at scheduled day and option "backup once powered on" is not enabled, or if backup job failed, e.g. because of target not available, or if job have no schedule but triggering by lock/logoff/backup target connection event with "no more often" option.
Do you face this situation for a VBR managed environment or for VSPC managed agents?
I seen 3 weeks in VBR environment, but I don't think this is relevant, imho problem is just by option design: the need to specify a specific day of the week for a synthetic backup carries this risk of missing this full restore point, and as a consequence of this, an increase in recovery points count required for short term retention policy, also can shift the GFS monthly restore point. So my idea is to add ability for automatic run synthetic full backup after missed scheduled day, or mb just force it if was not proceed more then 1 week and periodic full backup enabled in job settings.