Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jonaz
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Jona Ziemann

More Metrics and Real-Time

Post by jonaz » 1 person likes this post

When the backup job is running, there are no real-time metrics being gathered. The ones listed in the backup details only populate when the job is done (Or at least for Volume Backups). It would be great if real-time metrics be generated for the current field. It would also be nice if the following metrics be gathered in real-time as well:

1. Compression Info
2. Disk IO (Source and Destination)
3. Disk Queue Depth
4. Network Utilization and Possible Bottlenecks
5. CPU Utilization
6. Memory Utilization
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: More Metrics and Real-Time

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jona,

How would end-user use this information? Can you please clarify your feature request and share your use case?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Post by Gostev »

jonaz wrote:1. Compression Info
2. Disk IO (Source and Destination)
3. Disk Queue Depth
4. Network Utilization and Possible Bottlenecks
5. CPU Utilization
6. Memory Utilization
Considering that we don't provide most of this information even in our enterprise-grade server backup product (it was simply never requested), I just don't see us adding this to a product designed for end users... for example, none of my friends with computers will even know what Disk Queue Depth is. And for less advanced things (like process CPU/RAM usage, network and disk utilization) they are already used to using Task Manager in those rare occurrences when they want to see this information (although I don't remember last time when I personally needed to investigate something like that for some application).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 3 people like this post

On the other hand, no reason for us not to report our regular B&R bottleneck statistics, as this may be useful for troubleshooting purposes. Dmitry, please check with the devs if we can do this. Technically, Data Movers should still log those performance strings.
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

These Metrics WOULD be cool for the enterprise Product :) Disk IO being my favourite...
MarchBrown
Novice
Liked: never

Feature Request - Backup Completion ETA

Post by MarchBrown »

It would be really nice (especially with the first backup or instances where there is a high change rate) for an estimate of how long the backup will take to complete. At present the end user has no idea how long a backup may take which isn't ideal for USB storage or network storage on portable devices (e.g. laptops, netbooks, etc.). Knowing that a backup is going to take X hours will really help users know if they have enough time to complete a backup before needing to offline their system for any reason.

Brian
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1566 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Brian,
Sounds more like a request for post job activities like putting PC in sleep or shutdown. :wink:
jonaz
Enthusiast

Post by jonaz »

It sounds like this product is supposed to be used with consumer and small business non-server endpoints. These metrics would probably not be useful for the normal consumer, but many small-medium business normally do not have dedicated IT Staff, but they do hire consultants/technicians. I could see this being helpful for 3rd party vendors that use this product for their customers. It would help troubleshoot issues during backups. For this particular instance, it would also help having a management console to view all endpoints too. I love to look at metrics and make sure that everything is performing the very best that it can.

So one scenario:
You have the schedule set to backup on storage attach, or daily the middle of the day and the endpoint user is in the middle of doing some resource intensive work. Now the backup is running and contending for resources. They call their IT Support company and they check out that the computer cannot handle any intensive work during a scheduled backup. The IT Support company can now change the time or schedule method, so that it doesn't affect resources during business hours.
Delo123
Veteran

Post by Delo123 »

Would the IT third party do this for free? This thing is called free backup, adding management etc. would move it towards entrrprise, everybody loves free stuff but getting everything for "free" and then charge the customer isn't very fair for let's say veeam... Just my point of view
jonaz
Enthusiast

Post by jonaz »

The are reselling their time, not the product. IT companies work on all kind of products/systems that customers install. Many customers don't feel comfortable calling support directly. In my experience, they like to contact their IT company first. :wink:
Delo123
Veteran

Post by Delo123 »

True... Both points made i guess :)
hoFFy
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Re: Feature Request - Backup Completion ETA

Post by hoFFy »

MarchBrown wrote:It would be really nice (especially with the first backup or instances where there is a high change rate) for an estimate of how long the backup will take to complete. At present the end user has no idea how long a backup may take which isn't ideal for USB storage or network storage on portable devices (e.g. laptops, netbooks, etc.). Knowing that a backup is going to take X hours will really help users know if they have enough time to complete a backup before needing to offline their system for any reason.

Brian
This would be very very nice for me, too
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Agree, this is a very useful information to have.
treisel
Novice
Full Name: Thomas Reisel

Post by treisel »

i think the metrics for users are not so importend. These are just statistics ;o). the time how long a backup would take, well this is ok but we all know that the time to finishing a backup colud be very "elastic". after the first backups you know how long this will take + -. but well, for some i users it will help...
MarchBrown
Novice

Post by MarchBrown »

d.popov wrote:Brian,
Sounds more like a request for post job activities like putting PC in sleep or shutdown. :wink:
Dmitry,

My thought has more do with portable computer users. I'm a laptop user (both home and corporate), and when I undock my system at work or close the lid on my personal system it goes to sleep. If I'm in the middle of a network based backup that backup fails at that point (see my comments on resume from failed backup). However, if I know that I have 5 hours at my desk and the backup will take 3 hours then I'm good. If however, I know I have 2 hours and the backup will take 3 then I can just cancel the backup or not even start one to begin with.

For desktop users I think your comments are spot on.

Brian
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Brian,
Thank you for describing your personal use case! We will discuss it with the team.
d.lansinklesscher
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Dennis Lansink

Feature Requests - Bottleneck indicator

Post by d.lansinklesscher »

Just as in B&R. Because it has proven to be useful many times already when a backup does not perform as expected.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Dennis,
Will be available in the GA.