MS cluster?

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

MS cluster?

Veeam Logoby rho » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:47 am

Hi all,

How does Veeam Agent for windows 2.0 works with Microsoft Clusters? I does have a few file and SQL clusters running.. I know that the cluster drives are available for selection inside the Agent, but how does the agent handle cluster failovers? And how about restore?

Best regards
Ronni
rho
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Ronni Holst

Re: MS cluster?

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:56 am

Ronni,

Clustering is something we are looking into, but VAW 2.0 won't have support for MS Clusters (I assume you are talking about standard failover clusters). You can protect a single node (as a standalone) but VAW won't be aware that it is a cluster. Which means that in the case of a failover, it won't know this and your backups will fail as the disk won't be available anymore.

But as said, this is on our list
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 343 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby jeff.richeson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:04 am

So does that mean I should be able to pick a clustered volume to back up? I am only seeing the non-clustered volumes. Anything that is CSVFS is not available in the list of volumes.
jeff.richeson
Lurker

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi Jeff,

What is your exact scenario? If you are protecting the active node, it should be able to see the data if I am not mistaken
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 343 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby jeff.richeson » Mon May 01, 2017 12:45 pm

We have a standard configuration: 2 node SQL failover cluster using physical RDMs for shared storage. The agent is installed on the primary node but it can only see the non-clustered volumes. I opened a support case but all they could tell me was that clusters aren't supported in any of the Veeam products. Currently, I'm working around the issue by having a scheduled task run a script to robocopy the clustered backup volume to a non-clustered volume and using the agent to back up that volume.
jeff.richeson
Lurker

Veeam Logoby vClintWyckoff » Mon May 01, 2017 5:33 pm

As you note VAW is not natively 'Cluster' aware in the current version 2.0. Thanks for providing the community with your workaround.
vClintWyckoff
Veeam Software

Liked: 78 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows