Multiple computer recovery media on single USB

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Multiple computer recovery media on single USB

Veeam Logoby mlabbe » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:37 pm

I've been using XBoot for some time, added many types of bootable ISOs to it and it worked well for awhile, until I tried to add Win10 installation iso to it and spent a couple hours (again) trying to adjust config to boot it properly. While searching for help on proper config for win10 iso, I found a couple mentions about Easy2boot and gave it a try. Let me tell you it's night & day.

I haven't tried YUMI but it appears to be similar to XBoot (basically a GRUB installer and then you need to edit menus & configs manually).

I confirm Easy2Boot is alot easier to use: most of the time you just need to copy the iso files (and sometime rename the extension, as mentioned by Steve) they are autodetected and just work. You can even create .key files to avoid needing to type the same win install key over and over again.

Btw, VEB is #224 in E2B's long list of tested working ISOs ;-)
mlabbe
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Michel Labbé

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:02 pm

Thanks for sharing Michael!
VEB is #224 in E2B's long list of tested working ISOs

Good to know. Does that list has some kind of ranking or its just a list verified recovery iso?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 442 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby mlabbe » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Dima P. wrote:Does that list has some kind of ranking or its just a list verified recovery iso?

I believe there is no particular ranking and newly tested ISOs are just added at the end of the list.
mlabbe
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Michel Labbé

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Got it – then, I guess, there is nothing to worry about. Though, a bit disappointed that I can’t somehow push Veeam iso to be the first in the list :mrgreen:
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby B.F. » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:14 pm

When updating the VEB ISO's using E2B, does one need to "MAKE_THIS_DRIVE_CONTIGUOUS.cmd" each time there's an ISO change?
B.F.
Expert

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:37 pm

If I understood this post correctly you have to use it only when an error occurs in order to fix it quick.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Recovery Media for Multiple PCs

Veeam Logoby Glen.R » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:27 am

Apologies if this is a newbie question, but I will be running Endpoint Backup on a number of PCs at home and want to create recovery media in case I need to do a bare metal restore on any of them. When creating the media I know it will grab the drivers for network, etc., but I don't want to have a boot media for every PC. Is it possible to have one bootable recovery USB but have it work across multiple PCs with different driver requirements? If so, how do you configure it?
Glen.R
Influencer

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:02 pm

Hello and welocme Glen.R,

Generally we advise to keep one recovery media per OS you are backing up (don’t forget about the OS x32/x64 capacity). I’ve merged your post to existing discussion as it contains some workarounds and advises you may want to use.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Glen.R » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:55 pm

OK. So the OS that the recovery media boots to must match the OS it is restoring? I'm moving off WHS and recovery for that had a default boot OS and just loaded network drivers for the specific hardware then allowed restore of whatever was backed up. VEB doesn't take that approach?
Glen.R
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Anguel » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:15 am

I must admit I have not examined the solutions listed here but here is a video that shows multiboot for Veeam ISOs and IMHO this guy knows what he is doing:
https://youtu.be/qPijxv-oElk

Anguel
Anguel
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:35 pm

Glen.R,

The main requirement is correct drivers and OS capacity (mainly because of the drives since they follow the OS capacity). Recommended approach it to have the unique recovery for every PC you have because it simplifies the recovery process.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Glen.R » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:09 am

Thanks. The tip by Anguel looks useful, that may help keep things simple.
Glen.R
Influencer

[MERGED] use recovery media from earlier version

Veeam Logoby Geert » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:45 pm

Hi, is it possible to use a bootable recovery media created with an earlier version of Veeam Endpoint Backup to restore a backup made with a recent version of Veeam Endpoint Backup?
Can you use one recovery media for more desktops when they are identical? Or do you have to create for each desktop a different recovery media?
Geert
Lurker

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi Geert,
use a bootable recovery media created with an earlier version of Veeam Endpoint Backup to restore a backup made with a recent version of Veeam Endpoint Backup?

It's possible but not recommended. Latest version has bug fixes and performance improvements included, so it better to use the latest version.
Can you use one recovery media for more desktops when they are identical?

Yes, kindly review this thread for the known limitations and possible workarounds. Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Geert » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:27 am

Thanks for quick responding, Dima.
Geert
Lurker

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows