Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Need to restore volume from incomplete backup

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

We've been struggling to get a backup of our primary DB server due to file system corruption. Veeam support asked us to run a chkdsk routine, which we did last night; but unfortunately, that resulted in the server not booting the OS now. I need to know how to export/restore just the C vol out of the latest incomplete backup. This is the only volume that sucessfully completed backup last night, for example. Please advise. Case ID is 06247291. Thanks

Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Need to restore volume from incomplete backup

Post by Mildur »

Hi James

Booting from the recovery media allows you to restore single volumes:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=60

If the backup was incomplete, that's not possible. Our support engineer in your support case may help you to recover from incomplete data. But I cannot promise it.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran

Hey Fabian, this endpoint is managed by BNR, so we have a lot of options. The challenge, though, is restoring a successfully protected volume from an incomplete backup. I am not aware of a way to do this but am hoping that Veeam has a method, though unconventional, to achieve this. I will be sorely disappointed if the incomplete backup file contains a full backup of the C vol, as seen in the screenshot above, but there is no way to pull just this part out.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran

Support doesn't seem to have a clue. If restoring a successfully protected volume from an incomplete backup is not possible, even using any manner of unconventional methods, tricks, or workarounds, then I need to know so that I can submit a feature request. It really bugs me that I can stare at a successful backup of a volume but then not be able to restore it because the OTHER volumes were unsuccessfully protected.
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Tim

Post by BackupBytesTim »

You should be able to use VBR to access and recover files from the incomplete backup, admittedly that isn't a full volume restoration, so I wouldn't recommend trying that method to recreate your boot volume from scratch, but it may provide access to important data.