Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
wsususer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jürgen Möbius

Feature Request: Backup Explorer for Endpoint

Post by wsususer »

The solution Veeam Backup endpoint would be perfect for me if I'm in an emergency get without the program VEB to the backup content.
I think of a vbk-browser or vbk extractor for backup files *.vbk and *.vib

It is important to get the Backup-Data in case of need even without the main program.
Especially if the program is to be used on Server-Systems with important Data.

What do you think?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: New feature idea for VEB

Post by Dima P. »

Jürgen,
It’s great but without application being installed described actions should be performed by OS itself, so it’s more likely feature request to Microsoft :D
wsususer
Influencer

Post by wsususer »

I do not understand your answer
What does that have to do with Microsoft ?
But Veeam has the vbk backup container structure developed, or not?
I wish to have an Veeam.Backup.Extractor.exe standalone GUI tool (extract the backup file if I can not use the main program).
Can also be integrated into the Recovery CD .
Other image-backup vendors offer something like this also for its backup files. Which increases the opportunity at any time and very quickly to get back to his backup data.

I am not speaking of use from Veeam Endpoint Backup in the private environment
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jürgen,
Now I get it – thank you for the clarification. Great feature request indeed.
OrangeWing
Novice
Full Name: Stafford Fields

Feature Request: File Explorer for other endpoint

Post by OrangeWing »

I realize you can start the file explorer if you run the local control panel and select 'restore Files', however if you are on the 'Repository' with multiple systems backed up and browse to a machines folder and right click on the backup you can select to 'Restore' it but i dont see a way to pull up the 'File Explorer' so you can selectively pull out a file or folder. I realize going to the local machine, this can be done, but would be nice to allow it here or word 'Restore Backup' differently and give options to restore just files.

I am afraid to complete the action as I do not want to restore another machine to this workstation (local repository).

Great product guys!
Thanks!
nvetrano
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil

Post by nvetrano »

Just to agree that a stand-alone backup file browser would be amazing. Ability to pull files from backups without an installed client would be very useful. I do think this should be used in conjunction with having encrypted backup files however.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Re: Feature Request: Backup Explorer for Endpoint

Post by Dima P. »

Guys,
Big thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I have a question regarding the functionality of such backup explorer, how do you think file level restores are enough or it should have both types of restores (FLR and volume restore)? And what do you think about permissions - should any user be able to run such tool with any backup in the repository or should it be somehow configurable (for example during backup)?
wsususer
Influencer

Post by wsususer »

In my opinion should such a standolone backup explorer include both types of restores (FLR and volume restore).
If that's too complicated in one Tool, provide a Backup Explorerer for each type of backup.
One Tool for extract File Level Backupdata and one Tool for Volume Backup data.
To your question "should any user be able to run such tool with any backup in the repository" --> Backup data should not be accessible to everyone

Do not have access right now to the manual.
Can Veeam Backup Backup Endpoint protect backupdata with a password? May be important when backup data is stored on a share

If the backups are not secured or encrypted with a password, this possibility of encryption or protection should perhaps be added.
The standolone backup explorer must request the password before opening the Backupdata, so that not everyone can open the backup data.

Then, any user should be able to run such tool with any backup in the repository
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Understood, and I agree – such backup browser should come together with backup encryption.
Can Veeam Backup Backup Endpoint protect backupdata with a password?
In v1 encryption is available only when backing up to the VBR repository.