Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lkeltner
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lance Keltner

new laptop, 2.0 install. won't wake from sleep for backup

Post by lkeltner »

I moved to a new laptop and setup the agent in free mode. I ran a few backups manually, and they work fine, but the laptop will not wake it self up for backup in the middle of the night, regardless of whether it is plugged in or not. I have verified that wake timers is turned on and there is a wake timer set under powercfg. If I open the lid of the laptop it wakes immediately, so I know it's not off or hibernating.

This is a new X1 Carbon 6th gen. My previous X1 Carbon 3rd gen worked perfectly with this setup. Am I missing something simple? Win 10 Pro with latest build and updates.
lkeltner
Novice

Re: new laptop, 2.0 install. won't wake from sleep for backu

Post by lkeltner »

Also, it appears that my new laptop doesn't have the sleep options when selecting what to do when done with backups. It has keep running, hibernate, and shutdown. I'm not sure if this is related or not.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Lance,

Welcome to the forums!

I am assuming there is a brand new windows 10 on this machine?

Check in a command prompt the following: powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
That should tell you if this is possible or not.
Also, a bit strange, but can you check if the advanced settings from your power plans allow sleep timers (see if that setting is enabled or disabled)

Your last post though is a bit worried. You can't select sleep? That checkbox is there and not selectable or simply not there?

Cheers
Mike
lkeltner
Novice

Post by lkeltner »

here is the result of the powercfg entry:

Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 15D2

by no sleep option, I mean in the backup config in the Schedule window, my options for:

Once backup is taken, computer should: are 1. keep running, 2. hibernate 3. shutdown.

my old X1 Carbon 3 on windows 10 had "sleep" as an 4th option there.

EDIT: I also updated to v2.1 yesterday, no change.

sleep timers is enabled for battery and plug in use, but I had to change the registry as the sleep timers entry wasn't even displayed before.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Lance,

I am guessing that it is somewhere the setup. Mine indeed shows sleep. What you could do (even with the free version) is to log a support case. (Post the support case ID here and the outcome of that). The free version comes with support but on a best effort basis. No SLA. But that doesn't mean we will not try to fix it! I hope our engineers can see in the logs why sleep is not available as an option.
lkeltner
Novice

Post by lkeltner »

opened case: Your support case number is 02627430