Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
hmt321
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Harry Thames

New user, some questions

Post by hmt321 »

I am a new user, i ran some searches and did a little reading. I believe i have an understanding of how this works but i want to be sure i understand the terminology correctly.

This is how my work PC is set up

- win 7 pro - installed on a SSD
- antivirus/malware also on ssd
- chrome on ssd
- dropbox on internal hdd - lots of different pc's using dropbox to house data from various business related programs.
- quickbooks on Hdd (company file data lives on dropbox)

so basically i have 2 harddrives, i want to have a backup that is only attached to the network when the backup is being preformed, i want to keep as many old copies of the back up as the media will allow. Ill probably back up each day i am in the office.

I picked up a 1T external HDD
downloaded Veeam Endpoint Backup
I have "Entire Computer" selected under backup mode (Configure backup)
"Local storage" is selected under destination
Under local storage I do not know which drive. It looks like Veeam split the external HHD into 2 drives? I am not sure what one to use, it defaults to "G" that has 46.4MB free space, out of 355.0 mb total. The other drive it created is Local Disk H: it has 931gb free out of 932gb total. I may have messed this up, what one do i use? i think H: 931 gb free? it looks like it will keep 14 days worth of backup copies.
Under schedule, i have "when backup target is connected, and eject"

My questions:

1.) What local drive to i need to save it to? G 46.4mb out of 355 mb or H 931gb out of 932gb, i think H. I may have selected on the wrong thing when i was monkeying with it earlier. or does Veeam keep dividing the external Hdd as it creates the 14 different backup copies?

2.) how do i verify that i have a good back up? There were no error messages or anything but is there any way to test?

3.) are both of my hard drives being backed up? I think they are

4.) if i need to restore my pc, do i boot strait to the usb external hdd from the bios screen?

thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: New user, some questions

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome Harry,
What local drive to i need to save it to? G 46.4mb out of 355 mb or H 931gb out of 932gb, i think H. I may have selected on the wrong thing when i was monkeying with it earlier. or does Veeam keep dividing the external Hdd as it creates the 14 different backup copies?
H volumes sounds right. You could create a recovery partition on the same disk (thru the Veeam Recovery Media creation wizard), thus the first volume is small. If that’s true - such configuration is ok
how do i verify that i have a good back up? There were no error messages or anything but is there any way to test?
No errors or warnings is a good sign. You can start a file level recovery from time to time to double check that backup is operational
are both of my hard drives being backed up? I think they are
In case of 'Entire PC' backup mode all integral disks are included automatically.
if i need to restore my pc, do i boot strait to the usb external hdd from the bios screen?
Connect Recovery Media and follow the Bare Metal Recovery procedure.

P.S. Check the Help Center's How-To - it may help you to better understand the overall backup/restore procedure.
caballo2000
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex

Re: New user, some questions

Post by caballo2000 »

You can create a recovery cd, dvd, usb or ISO who includes your computer drivers so you can boot with the recovery media and recover from your backup in case your hdd fails or you has been hit by ransomware.

Remember to setup your recovery points appropriately. 14 days maybe is a good setup for you. An scheduled full backup outsite of the full+incremental chain is recommended as well from time to time.