Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
adwaisner1991
Novice
Liked: never

Not recognizing external USB

Post by adwaisner1991 »

Hey there I'm trying to do a bare metal recovery from one laptop to another using a veeam backup pulled to an external USB. When it boots to the backup software it doesn't show the external drive even exists. If I boot to windows and check disk management it shows the external hard drive with both partitions and the back up both in a healthy state. I've updated all drivers/windows updates with no luck. Is there something I'm missing here?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Not recognizing external USB

Post by Dima P. »

Hi.

Boot the Recovery Media and start notepad by going to Tools > cmd and typing in nodepad. In the notepad media click Save as and browse for the existing volumes. Can you see the volume from your USB device? If not go back to Tools > Load Drivers. In this window you should see the USB device driver as installed, if not you must install the driver manually (you can populate the list of the unknown devices there too).
adwaisner1991
Novice

Post by adwaisner1991 »

Okay so I can't see the volumes when I browse through notepad and when I attempt to load the USB drivers it doesn't allow me to install(Install is grayed out). I know the BIOS and drivers are all updated because I've ran dell supportassist for all of the drivers on this PC before trying the bare metal recovery.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Was the Recovery Media created on the same machine you are restoring?
adwaisner1991
Novice

Post by adwaisner1991 »

No it was not. The recovery was pulled from a different Dell laptop with the intentions of upgrading the user to a better device.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Can you recreate Recovery Media one more time with the option to automatically collect device drivers unchecked to make sure that drivers collected from existing machine do not interfere with the hardware of the machine you are restoring? Also please make sure that operating system of the machine you are using for recovery media creation is similar to the operating system in the backup you are about to restore.
adwaisner1991
Novice

Post by adwaisner1991 »

I recreated the recovery media without the previous drivers and I'm still receiving the same message when I attempt a bare metal recovery. It says "No backup files found on local or external disks, click Browse to select backup files manually". It still does not list the external drive. The operating system on the device I pulled the image from and the one that I'm imaging to are Windows 7 Professional.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Please pass me your contact email address (click send a PM) and I'll ask our support team to reach you. Thanks!
Kirintal
Lurker
Full Name: Kian Momtahan

Post by Kirintal »

Was this issue resolved, as I am having the same issue.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Cannot find any case ID to check up the solution, so to speed up the troubleshooting process please contact our technical support team. Once you do this, please let us know your case ID for tracking. Thanks!